Fashion Life + Arts

Wardrobe Wednesday: Looking toward Valentine’s Day

[tabgroup][tab title=”Brittney Onyia”]Pictured right is health senior Brittney Onyia.
Her sweater and watch are from Forever 21; her T-shirt is from Papaya; her jeans are DD’s; her shoes are from H&M; and her jewelry is from Zale’s.

Brittney Onyia | Diana Nguyen/The Cougar

The Cougar: What are your plans for Valentine’s Day?

Brittney Onyia: My boyfriend is planning it. We’re going to get our nails done, go to dinner, go shopping and go see a movie. I kind of want to go to The Cheesecake Factory just because I love their cheesecake, and there’s a pasta I really like too.

TC: How did you and your boyfriend meet?

BO: We met in our senior year of high school… in English class. When we first met, we didn’t like each other. He would always pick on me and call me names. After that we started hanging out, and it just kind of changed after a while — we just clicked. On Valentine’s Day it will be four years. It’s a big event for us.

TC: Congratulations! How would you describe yourselves? Are you guys opposites?

BO: We’re complete opposites actually. In high school, he played football. He’s the jock, and I did theater. I completely didn’t care about sports at all. It’s still the same now: he cares about his sports and basketball, and I’m really artsy.

TC: How would you describe your views on love?

BO: I don’t know, I feel like I’m a romantic kind of person. You see somebody, you fall in love. Not love at first sight, but you kinda just know.

TC: What would you say to a jaded person who may disagree?

BO: They haven’t found the right one yet. Even if you haven’t found them in your 20’s or 30’s, you’ll find them eventually.

TC: Do you believe you can have more than one soulmate?

BO: You could think you’re in love with someone, but a whole new person could actually be your true soulmate. You could find them years and years after being with someone else.

[/tab] [tab title=”David Carter”]
Pictured left is psychology junior David Carter.
His hat was purchased online; his glasses are Ray-Bans; his shirt is from PacSun; his pants are from Hot Topic; and his shoes are from Journey.

David Carter | Diana Nguyen/The Cougar

David Carter: I’m actually going to cook dinner for me and my girlfriend, rent a movie for us to watch afterward… my nights in general end up with me rubbing her feet.

TC: How did you and your girlfriend meet?

DC: My girlfriend and I met for the first time in high school; I was friends with her older sister. More recently, though, I went into the Hot Topic that she manages to buy some plugs, and we kinda just hit it off. I’m actually very oblivious, so she had to basically spell it out that she had a thing for me since high school.

TC: How would you describe yourselves — is it opposites attract or do you guys have many common interests?

DC: I like to believe we are right in the middle when it comes to opposites attract. We do have some major differences but on some things we are just similar enough to really butt heads.

TC: Do you believe in soulmates?

DC: I do believe in soulmates. I think that you can fall in love multiple times, but that there is one person on this planet meant for you.

TC: Do you feel your parents’ relationship influences your view on love?

DC: I strongly feel my parents influenced how I view love. My dad has gone to hell and back, and my mom stood by his side the whole time, even though it was, in turn, torture for herself. She loved him and felt that it was more important.

[/tab] [tab title=”Natalya Miranda”]
Pictured right is advertising senior Natalya Miranda.
Her floral shirt is from Hollister; her jeans are Bershka (Spain); and her shoes are from YesStyle.

Natalya Miranda | Diana Nguyen/The Cougar

The Cougar: What are you doing for Valentine’s Day?

Natalya Miranda: I am 25 and am married. My husband is British and here it’s a big thing, but I’m from Colombia, and we have another day. We celebrate it in September. It’s called Del Amor y la Amistad, a day for love and friendship. You give candy to your friends. This Valentine’s Day we want to go to San Antonio (and) Six Flags.

TC: How long have you been married? How would you describe yourselves?

NM: We’ve been married for a year and a half. We’re opposites in the little stuff. The big things, like values, we share the same. I think that’s important. He loves to go out and drink; I like to read. We’re both extroverts, but he’s really social. He’s like an old man and I’m like a little girl. When we go out, he always has to have the perfect suit — you know how Europeans dress. And I’m like here with purple hair and tattoos.

TC: Do you consider yourself more of a free spirit?

NM: Yes, definitely. And he cares more about money than I do. We can take care of each other. I make him think about something different that isn’t work, and he makes me more responsible.

TC: Do you feel your views on love were influenced by your parents?

NM: Yeah. It doesn’t mean that if your parents had a bad relationship, you will. It’s more that you learn from it. My parents got divorced, but they took so long to get a divorce. So if I’m not happy, I’m going to get a divorce. I think it does affect you a lot. It also depends on how you start the relationship. You don’t love every person the same way.

TC: What are some big differences between dating in America versus in Columbia?

NM: In Columbia, you meet people through friends and dancing in clubs. Guys will ask you politely if you want to dance, then you talk some more. Guys don’t do all the work of planning dates and hitting on you. Another thing is that guys are very rude here. I feel like it is difficult to have male friends, because if you show no interest in a relationship and you tell them clearly nothing is going to happen, they just stop talking to you.

TC: What advice would you give to readers on love?

NM: For people out there, and maybe it sounds cliche, but you need to love yourself before you can love someone else. You cannot make anyone happy, and no one can make you happy, but you can decide to be happy together.

[/tab] [tab title=”Darcy Gomez”]
Pictured left is construction management junior Darcy Gomez.
Her jeans are from Abercrombie; her shoes are from Payless; and her watch was purchased on eBay.

Darcy Gomez | Diana Nguyen/The Cougar

Darcy Gomez: One of my best friends recently converted to Mormonism, so he’s getting baptized on Saturday. I will be attending that with two of my best friends at this beautiful church and going to dinner afterwards. My girlfriends are my valentines this year.

TC: Do you believe in soulmates?

DG: Hmm.. I’m not sure. I believe a person can have multiple “soulmates” — either a best friend or a partner. It doesn’t necessarily mean that you and your soulmate are meant to be together, it just means you have a strong bond. I believe in soul sisters. My best friend is my soul sister. I can tell her anything and everything without being judged. I can be weird with her and not feel ashamed. I know I can call or text her whenever — like at 3 a.m. — and that she’ll always be there for me. She’s the best.

TC: What do you think makes up a great relationship?

DG: I’ve never been in a relationship before. Shocking, I know. But all I’ve ever wanted was to be able to trust someone, for them to be honest, have a good sense of humor and have a few similar interests. What makes a good relationship would be to motivate each other, respect, trust and most importantly, communication is key! Not just texting. Face to face communication is so important! I hate it when a guy won’t try to strike up a conversation in person but will talk for hours on IM. A lot of guys don’t know how to make a genuine effort anymore. They resort to texting out of convenience.

TC: Do you find your friends or family’s relationships affect your views on love?

DG: Yes! My parents, of course. They’ve been together for 32 years and are still going strong. They are seriously best friends. They have a routine. It’s so cute. My dad gets home around 6, and they both sit on the couch and watch TV and talk for hours. Every day — it never fails. They argue and make up just like any other married couple, but I know they love each other to death. My sister and her fiance as well. They come from different cultures, yet (they) are perfect for each other. One day, I want to have what my parents and sister and her fiance have.

TC: What advice on love would you give to young girls out there?

DG: I would tell them the same thing my parents told me: To not depend on a guy and be independent! You don’t need a guy to be happy. Trust me. Learn to love yourself and have fun! Go out with your friends, travel, laugh, and don’t let a guy be the reason for your happiness. Be smart when dating. Don’t settle. You shouldn’t ever have to feel like you need to prove yourself. They should accept you the way you are and be proud to be with you. You’re worth so much more than just a simple “I love you.” Don’t believe everything they tell you, and don’t fall so easily.

[/tab][/tabgroup]