UH facilities named as finalists for Landmark Awards

UH's Student Center and TDECU Stadium were nominated for Houston Business Journal's Landmark Awards.  |  File photo/The Cougar

UH’s Student Center and TDECU Stadium were nominated for Houston Business Journal’s Landmark Awards. | File photo/The Cougar

Two UH facilities are finalists for Houston Business Journal’s annual Landmark Awards.

TDECU Stadium is a finalist in the Public Assembly category, and the new Student Center is a finalist in the Renovation/rehabilitation category.

The publication selects Houston-area real-estate projects based on a number of criterion, including design, construction, economics and land planning. The nominated projects “make a significant impression on the Houston landscape” and improve the city’s appearance.

Real-estate projects occurring from Jan. 1 through Dec. 31, 2014 in the Greater Houston area were eligible for nomination. Projects must be open to the public and “financially viable” to be considered.

Finalists were chosen based on how they impact Houston. Factors such as job creation, innovation, development of surrounding neighborhoods and being environmentally friendly were considered, according to the journal’s nomination announcement.

Last year, UH’s Health and Biomedical Sciences Center won a Landmark Award in the Medical category.

The 2015 Landmark Awards winners will be announced on April 9 at the business journal’s Landmark Awards event.