Events Life + Arts

Coffee hour gets Cougars talking

Voices in conversation and the aroma of coffee spilled from the SC South Heights Rm. 224 Thursday afternoon as international students gathered to learn more about things to see and do in Houston.

“When putting together events for Culture Connect Week, we thought, ‘We have so many students from so many different backgrounds and areas, but how will we get them all together?’” said Center of Diversity and Inclusion Program Coordinator Michael Crook.

The International Student and Scholars Office and the Center for Diversity and Inclusion joined forces to create the International Student Coffee Hour, which welcomed students both international and local to engage with one another.

“We’re all coming here mostly blind [to other cultures] and you learn something new,” said mechanical engineering freshman Adrian Michael. “It’s just a good place to meet new people, make some friends and get along and have a good chat.”

Before a slideshow presentation was given on Houston’s attractions, students enjoyed coffee and played a modified version of bingo involving world-wide landmarks and getting other students to initial on the landmarks they had visited.

After the “traveler’s bingo,” door prizes were handed out to the students who were able to collect the most signatures. Students witnessed a slideshow presenting some of Houston’s museums, parks and performance venues, which included the Discovery Green, the Museum of Natural Science, the Menil Collection and Warehouse Live.

“Finally, I discovered some new places that don’t involve just food,” said media production junior Kimmy Nguyen.

Students had the opportunity to sign up for more information on the Houston attractions presented. Many students were naturally interested in the free events and concerts mentioned in the slide show, one being the French Culture Fest at Discovery Green in April.

“There’s so much culture in the United States, so we talk a lot about that, but we also talk about what kind of cultures exist outside (the U.S.) that are here in Houston,” Crook said.

“We want to not only exist together, but to learn from one another.”