Baseball

Cougars fall to Tigers in pitching display

The right side of Minute Maid Park, while cold from the overhanging shade, generated its warmth through the production and expending of energy. By the end of their 4-2 win, No. 2 LSU and their fans had more than enough to cheer about, including their 13th win of the season.

Getting ahead 3-0 in the bottom of the first thanks to a home run by LSU third baseman Conner Hale, the Tigers never took their claws out of the lead.

“It was slider,” Hale said of his far deposited offering, one of his two hits in four at bats. “My eyes lit up, and I was ready to take a good swing on it.”

Hale’s home run was essentially the only mistake made by UH starter Andrew Lantrip, who went the distance in his first loss of the season. The sophomore right-hander gave a nod to LSU’s bats.

“They’re a great offensive team,” said Lantrip, who is now 3-1 on the season. “If you make bad pitches, they execute on them.”

Through his complete game, Lantrip struck out two and allowed three earned runs. After the first, LSU was held to only one more run, but the UH offense was unable to capitalize on his steadiness.

For Hale, the relative closeness of Minute Maid Park’s left field fence, the Crawford Boxes, was something of a challenge.

“We took batting practice last night, and I was just trying to hit one or two out just to say I did, but it’s a lot more fun to do it in a game.” said Hale.

UH hitters, which managed only four hits on the day against three LSU pitchers, were especially stymied by Jared Poche’. Not a power pitcher or a strikeout artist like some of LSU’s staff, he excelled at keeping UH batters off balance.

“Poche’ doesn’t make [pitching] look easy,” said LSU head coach Paul Mainieri.  “He’s a grinder. He’s just one of those guys you have to believe in because he’s going to get in some jams.”

Poche’, who claimed his fourth win of the season against no losses, went 7.2 innings before giving way to relievers Aiden Cartwright and Jesse Stallings, who teamed up to hold UH hitless for the remainder of the game.

“He never packs the tent. He never gives up. He keeps battling and fighting,” said Mainieri. “His stuff’s not overpowering but seems to rise up and make a big pitch whenever you need him. That’s why you let him stay out there.”