Softball

Cougars split day two in Vegas, lose heartbreaker in extras

Freshman left-fielder Kaylin Crumpton was big for the Cougars as she hit a 2-RBI triple in the second to score senior second baseman Kayla Holland and junior centerfielder Katie St. Pierre.  |  File Photo/The Cougar

The Cougars had a tough go at it in day two of the UNLV Rebels Classic, with a heartbreaking 7-8 extra innings loss to the host UNLV Rebels that ended their four-game winning streak Saturday night.

They made up for it in game two of the night with a complete game, four-hit shutout pitched by senior Summer Groholski in the 5-0 victory over Iowa State.

The Cougars fell into a hole early in the first game with freshman starter Kayla Maxwell only going two innings and putting the Cougars into a 5-0 deficit.

Houston rallied back by scoring three runs in the third and three more in the top of the seventh, tying the game at the end of regulation.

The Cougars added a seventh run in the top of the eighth, but it wouldn’t be enough as the Rebels got a walk-off single after two critical Cougar errors.

Junior Julana Shrum pitched well in relief for Maxwell, going 5.1 innings, giving up six hits and three runs, one earned, but was credited with the loss.

In game two of the night the Cougars bounced back well, scoring four runs in the second and giving Groholski more than enough run support for the gem she pitched.

Shrum added her fifth home run of the week with a two-run blast in the second that got the scoring started for the Cougars.

Freshman left-fielder Kaylin Crumpton showed some timely hitting skills, rocketing a 2-RBI triple in the second following walks by senior second baseman Kayla Holland and junior centerfielder Katie St. Pierre.

St. Pierre added to the onslaught, speedily showing just why she is at the top of the order with an inside the park home run in the sixth.

Houston looks to end the tournament on a high note and add to a new win streak against No. 14/16 California Sunday with first pitch at 11 a.m.