Food Life + Arts

BB’s Cafe offers successful Texas-Cajun fusion

IMG_4164eeeeeeeeeeee

The Skinny Man’s Diet does not fail to impress. | Ali Valach/The Cougar

UH alumnus Brooks Bassler blessed Houston with a fusion of Cajun food with a Texas flair when he opened BB’s Café in 2007, which has five locations in the Houston area. Visitors can sample Bassler’s unique creations, which are perfectly named to keep with the Texas and Cajun theme.

A perfect starter to share on anyone’s first trip to BB’s is the Tex-Cajun Virgin. Thin fries are slathered in a mixture of gravy and queso, topped off with tender and flavorful shredded roast beef.

An individual starter, Maw Maw’s Gumbo is a dark broth mixed with rice and a choice of gulf shrimp, chicken and Andouille sausage or seafood. The gumbo, however, is average when it comes to flavor and taste, and nothing really brings it to life. Those who like their gumbo with a kick will be sorely disappointed by this recipe.

BB’s po’ boys are menu highlights, bursting with flavor and impressive in size. A must-have is the delicious Skinny Man’s Diet — tender fried chicken, pepper jack cheese, avocado, tomato and bacon ranch sauce served on crunchy French bread. The sandwich would be even better if more bacon ranch sauce was added.

BB’s is a place that Houstonians really should visit to taste the combination of two loved cuisines. Bassler has made the Cougars proud by creating this dining chain.