Crime News

Student robbed at gunpoint in parking lot 6C

A student was robbed at gunpoint today around 5 p.m. while walking through parking lot 6C, near Cougar Village 1 and 2.

Two men in a silver two-door Infiniti drove up and began to talk to the student before the passenger of the car took out a semi-automatic pistol and pointed it at the student through the driver’s side window. The two men then took the student’s backpack and and drove off in an unknown direction on Wheeler Street. The student was not injured in the incident.

Both suspects were black men who were between the ages of 18 and 24 and weighted around 180 lbs. each. The driver of the vehicle had dreadlocks and a black t-shirt with blue jeans on. The passenger had short hair with a white t-shirt on.

If you have any information on this case, contact UHPD at 713-743-3333 or [email protected]

• This is flat out unacceptable! Also why isn’t this front and center on thedailycougar, everybody needs to know about this to become more aware? If there is not video surveillence that would have been able to track these thugs and help identify them then I’m flabbergasted. Most colleges wouldn’t require that, but UH sure does. I’m hoping these thugs are caught… I do not feel safe on this campus!

• I notice some campuses are gated. I notice, many businesses have access-controlled parking — like that big huge one we just built for TDECU stadium. Or the Hilton which has been in place for some time. Has anyone done a study to show how access control reduces crime? Maybe we should be looking at the ill-health effects of getting mugged on campus instead of demonizing smokers with draconian rules.