Coogs Choose

Barbecue: The Cougars’ staff picks

Being one of the most well-known Texas cuisines, Houstonians can definitely hold their own when it comes to barbecue. Here are a few staff-chosen options worth trying out:

[tabgroup] [tab title=”Ray’s BBQ”]

Ray’s BBQ Shack excels in regional cuisine beyond BBQ. In addition to succulent brisket, beef and BBQ ribs, Ray’s also serves a healthy variety of fresh seafood. Its catfish basket, which comes with three large helpings of catfish for just over $10, rounds out a diverse seafood menu.

[/tab] [tab title=”Triple J’s Smokehouse”]

Triple J’s is a tried-and-true favorite. Its loaded baked potatoes can come stuffed with sausage, beef and ribs smothered in BBQ sauce, with two-meat, two-side dinner clocking in at an affordable $11. Its reputation as one of Houston’s best-known BBQ joints has been alive and thriving for 20 years.

[/tab] [tab title=”Gatlin’s BBQ”]

Gatlin’s BBQ is probably Houston’s most widely-known and talked about BBQ joint, making a monumental impact on the city in its five short years. It started out of the current co-owners’ home and has quickly established itself as a regional staple of BBQ, with juicy beef and pork sliders that are hard to rival.

[/tab] [/tabgroup]

“Coogs Choose” is a special section produced by The Cougar in collaboration with the Center for Student Media that spotlights students’ favorite places and activities around campus and Houston. Pick up the magazine at campus newsstands until April 22.