Coogs Choose

21 in Houston: The Cougar’s staff picks for your first night on the town

Reaching that glorious age is exciting for anyone, but those of us in the Bayou City party even harder. When planning your night, stick with these tried-and-true hotspots that promise a good time.

The Group Activity

1454830_554621957963288_873442990_n

Courtesy of TopGolf Houston

TopGolf

TopGolf has entertainment for all ages, and not in the cheesy way your parents hope for. There’s full bar and craft beer pints, but your under-21 buds won’t be shortchanged on things to do. Your group can golf, eat dinner, play pool or just hang out at the bar, which requires ID for only those drinking.

The Dinner Spot

11030202_887526901270398_3121171613001056326_n

Courtesy of Hay Merchant

The Hay Merchant
For dinner, take your crew to The Hay Merchant on Westheimer. It’s the perfect place to wet your whistle, as the bar boasts over 30 taps that rotate throughout the season. You’ll be able to figure out your preference in beer, all while waiting for your Cease and Desist burger to arrive.

The First Bar

Little Woodrow’s
Little Woodrow’s is a good bar to know. There’s several of them scattered around Houston, but the most popular location is on Brazos Street. It’s a fairly casual place, and it’s in the center of Midtown, which boasts one of the highest concentrations of popular bars in Houston. On Thursdays during summer months, you can also enjoy turtle races – bet on the right turtle, and you get a free drink. It doesn’t get much better than that.

“Coogs Choose” is a special section produced by The Cougar in collaboration with the Center for Student Media that spotlights students’ favorite places and activities around campus and Houston. Pick up the magazine at campus newsstands until April 22.