Coogs Choose

Food & Drink: Coogs Choose 2015 Winners

Courtesy of Buffalo Wild Wings

Courtesy of Buffalo Wild Wings

Best Wings

Buffalo Wild Wings
Customers can choose the sauce the wings are tossed in, ranging from super spicy to sweet. In addition to wings, BWW also offers tasty appetizers, like mozzarella sticks and potato wedges.
2nd Place: Wing Stop
3rd Place: Pluckers

Best Taco

Torchy’s Tacos
It’s one of the trendiest places in Houston to get a taco. Torchy’s is also affordable for students, with tacos costing around $4 each.
2nd Place: Taco Bell
3rd Place: Taco Cabana

Best Pizza

Pink’s Pizza
The opening of Pink’s on campus has answered our pizza and beer needs. Even though we dole out $7 for a slice, we leave Pink’s with no regrets. It’s helped to boost UH’s campus nightlife and vastly improved our on-campus dining.
2nd Place: Pizza Hut
3rd Place: Star Pizza

Best Sandwich

McAlister’s Deli
McAlister’s Deli is a favorite for students because it is easy to get to on campus and accepts Cougar Cash in exchange for their delicious sandwiches. They offer a variety of sandwiches ranging from classic to grilled. In addition to tasty sandwiches, McAlister’s Deli also has salads, soups, spuds and desserts.
2nd Place: Subway
3rd Place: Chick-Fil-A

Best Pho

Pho Saigon Noodle House
With six locations around the city, it’s not hard to see why Pho Saigon is great for students.
2nd Place: Mai’s Restaurant
3rd Place: Pho Binh

Courtesy of Chipotle

Courtesy of Chipotle

Best Off-Campus Lunch

Chipotle Mexican Grill
The grill has a little something for everyone, with plenty of options for your burrito or bowl.
2nd Place: Whataburger
3rd Place: Chinese Star

Best Breakfast

IHOP
Being open 24 hours is a big plus for college students. A Rooty Tooty Fresh & Fruit never fails to hit the spot.
2nd Place: Breakfast Klub
3rd Place: McDonald’s

Best 24-Hour Diner

IHOP
The diner offers classic breakfast dishes such as pancakes, eggs, omelettes, waffles and crepes as well as lunch and dinner items like hamburgers, salads and desserts.
2nd Place: Dot’s Coffee Shop
3rd Place: House of Pies

Best Restaurant to Broaden your Horizon

Katz’s Deli and Bar
This late-night spot is the perfect place for when you crave a taste of the Big Apple. If you’re hungry after burning some calories on the Midtown dance floors, look no further than Katz’s, because it never closes.
2nd Place: Cafe 101
3rd Place: Sweet Paris

Best $5 Lunch

McDonald’s
McDonald’s won’t break the bank and makes grabbing lunch as convenient as ever.
2nd Place: Subway
3rd Place: Taco Bell

Best Coffehouse

Starbucks
You never have to stress about finding a nearby Starbucks location. But for us, that’s where the advantages end.
2nd Place: The Nook
3rd Place: Agora

Best Place to Study Off-Campus

Starbucks
With artisan coffee and pastries at affordable prices, it’s no wonder students flock here to get their study on.
2nd Place: Agora
3rd Place: The Nook

Courtesy of Cheesecake Factory

Courtesy of Cheesecake Factory

Best dessert

Cheesecake Factory
There’s a variety of flavors to choose from, such as Oreo and Reese’s. If you’re not a fan of cheesecake, there are still plenty of desserts for you to enjoy.
2nd Place: The Chocolate Bar
3rd Place: House of Pies

“Coogs Choose” is a special section produced by The Cougar in collaboration with the Center for Student Media that spotlights students’ favorite places and activities around campus and Houston. Pick up the magazine at campus newsstands until April 22.