Cougars get physical in 2015 spring game

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_0431

The white team came out on top of the physical 2015 Spring Game Saturday afternoon with a dominant score of 25-11. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

Even though it’s almost five months until the games count, emotions were high once the players strapped up their helmets.

The players and coaches were excited to compete in front of a crowd again during the annual Red & White spring game Saturday at TDECU Stadium. The Red & White game headlined the 2015 Houston Athletics Spring Fling, which included a performance by popular Houston artist Rich O’Toole and a baseball doubleheader at Cougar Field.

Team White was led by junior quarterback Greg Ward Jr, who hopes to retain his spot after starting eight games last year. He was opposed on Team Red by senior transfer Adam Schulz who is challenging Ward for his starting spot.

Ward arguably had the best individual performance on the offensive side, going 13-17 with 115 yards through the air and constantly put pressure on the defense with his legs while Schulz finished the day 11-19 with 105 yards. First-year head coach Tom Herman was still non committal about a decision about a signal caller. 

“There is no number one. There is definitely a battle,” Herman said of the quarterback situation. “The scale will need to be tipped at some point.”

Team White jumped out to a 3-0 lead before the game even started by winning the circle drill, something Herman picked up from his former boss at Ohio State, Urban Meyer.

During the first drive, things got testy when senior offensive lineman Carter Wall came to the defense of his running back who he felt was thrown to the ground after the whistle by a Team Red defender.

Team White jumped out to an 18-0 lead with two rushing touchdowns by Ward.

“He’s a dynamic dude back there. I’ve coached a few dynamic guys,” Herman said. “I compare him a lot to Braxton Miller when we first got to Ohio State”

Ballhawking senior safety Trevon Stewart, who led the nation in takeaways (10) while setting a school record for most recovered fumbles (6) just two years ago, was up to his old tricks, recovering another fumble.

Cornerback Brandon Wilson had a surprising six rushes for 60 yards and a touchdown.

“I had a few (touches), it was alright.” Wilson said, “I was just out there trying to have fun, really.”