Baseball

Longville leads Houston victory with a shutout

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_0941

Senior pitcher David Longville led the Cougars against the Bearkats as he threw a complete-game shutout. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

Behind a gem of a game from senior starting pitcher David Longville, Houston baseball continued their recent stretch of strong play, taking a 3-0 win over Sam Houston State.

Longville pitched a complete game shutout for Houston, allowing just five hits and no walks while striking out four. Coming into the game, Longville owned a 3-2 record on eight starts, with a 4.15 ERA. Behind him, the defense made all the right plays, recording just one error on the night to help secure the win.

Both teams got off to a slow start, as Houston registered their first two hits of the evening in the bottom of the third, but thanks to some solid defensive play from the Bearkats, both runners were left in scoring position.

The game remained hotly contested until the fifth, when Sam Houston changed pitchers and UH made sure to capitalize.

Walks by junior catcher Ian Rice and junior second baseman Josh Vidales as well as a free base on junior first baseman Chris Iriart’s hit-by-pitch set the stage for junior designated hitter Jacob Campbell, who knocked in two RBI with a single into left field.

Houston would increase their lead in the bottom of the seventh inning when freshman outfielder Corey Julks drove in Vidales on a loop single into shallow left field.

Longville would make sure that Houston maintained their lead and closed the night out in strong fashion.

Houston tallied just seven hits total on the evening, but made use of five walks and one hit-by-pitch to get men on base.

Campbell led the offense for the Coogs, going 2-3 from the plate with two RBI and a walk recorded as well.

After the game, Coach Todd Whitting praised Longville’s performance.

“David Longville was clutch for us tonight,” Whitting said. “We needed to give our bullpen a bit of a break. Anytime you can go on a Tuesday and get a guy to go a complete game, that’s big.”

Houston now looks forward to heading down the road for a three-game road series May 1 through 3 in New Orleans against Tulane. The Cougars will look to stay at the top of the American Athletic Conference against the team who currently sits in second place.