BREAKING: Sigma Chi closes UH chapter

Sigma Chi was suspended in March after allegations of hazing were turned into authorities in January. | Mónica Rojas/The Cougar

[alert type=”yellow”]This story will be updated as we get more information.[/alert]

Sigma Chi International Fraternity announced that they are closing their UH chapter.

“It was after working with University of Houston administrators and voicing shared concerns that we made our decision to close the chapter,” said Sigma Chi international president Mike Greenberg in a news release. “We do not take closing a chapter lightly, but it was in our best interests to do so.”

The Epsilon Xi chapter of Sigma Chi was suspended in March after allegations of hazing within the fraternity. UH immediately suspended the chapter and five of its members.

Current Sigma Chi members will be given “special alumni status, meaning that their undergraduate activity as Sigma Chis must cease.”

Sigma Chi may return to the University after the summer of 2019 when all of its current undergraduate members have graduated.

The allegations were originally brought to the attention of Sigma Chi International Fraternity in January and the investigation was turned over to UHPD on Feb. 19.

UPDATE: A statement from UH to The Cougar states that the University “supports the decision of the Sigma Chi International Fraternity to close the UH chapter.”