Training operations have Texans throwing hissy fits

King of the Hillbillies - Leah Nash

| Leah Nash/The Cougar

It is no secret that Texans love their military. In fact, Texans make up a majority of the Armed Forces.  

But conspiracy theorists have been stirring Texans into a paranoid fervor over the upcoming military training operation known as Jade Helm 15. 

The theory going around is this training operation, which is taking place across seven states, is just a façade so the federal government can enforce martial law and impede upon individuals’ civil liberties, an idea supported by conspiracy-loving conservative radio host Alex Jones.  

Jones also believes President Obama is going to force a third term and declare himself a dictator. Naturally, he also thinks the moon landings were fake and that 9/11 was a government inside job 

He’s definitely the life of the party.  

Jones’ theory has sent ripple effects throughout Texas, where some people don’t believe anything the government says, regardless of validity. The Pentagon sent Director of Public Affairs Lt. Col. Mark Lastoria to speak at a Bastrop town hall meeting to assure the people that this exercise was not a preparation for martial law.

He was not well received.

“You may have issues with the federal government, you may have issues with the administration; so be it,” Lastoria said. “But (the army) has been with you for over 240 years, period.” 

In response to this insanity, Gov. Greg Abbott is deploying the Texas National Guard to “monitor” these armed forces in order to protect Texans’ “safety, constitutional rights, private property right and civil liberties.”  

He seems to be ignoring the facts, catering to Jones’ Sanitarium of Suspicion and Idiocy.  

Jade Helm is a long planned and coordinated exercise,” said Col. Steve Warren, a Pentagon spokesman. “We are not taking over anything.” 

The backlash from Abbott’s decision is, surprisingly, coming mostly from the Republican Party. 

Abbott has tried to downplay the situation by projecting the image of a governor who cares about all of his constituents.

“We are all together on the same page in making sure we rally behind and support our military, and at the same time making sure our fellow Texans seem more at ease,” Abbott said. 

What Abbott doesn’t realize is the problem isn’t that he is deploying these troops, but that he is “pandering to idiots,” as former GOP Texas congressman Todd Smith eloquently said.   

Unfortunately, Texas still has three more years to deal with Abbott, and if he can produce this much stupidity in just five months, Texas’ near future does not look bright. 

According to McClatchy Newspapers, approximately 2.5 million military personnel served in Iraq and Afghanistan, and around 6,600 died.

That’s a big sacrifice; one that civilians should respect. 

Texans supposedly support the troops, but their heated paranoia seems to outweigh their love of their country.  

Opinion columnist Anthony Torres is a political science sophomore and may be reached at [email protected]

• Just because Alex Jones mentioned does not mean it isn’t something to be aware of. Abbott is just doing due diligence as Governor, to protect Texas. Monitoring is not idiotic.

• Taking something under consideration and taking action on unsubstantiated fear-mongering are two separate entities. (edit: if the TSG was training alongside them, that would make sense. But the impetus behind the move reeks of fear politics)

When their own party rebukes the claims, it’s a sign. When the military and retired Generals under an assortment of different administrations come out against it, it’s a sign. When those who have been vocally against the current President think it’s without sound rationale, it’s a sign.

Each one of those signs, independently, carry more weight than any of the pieces of evidence supporting Abbott’s actions. Nevermind the fact that it reeks of political posturing and basic fear tactics. But then again, that’s an Alex Jones hallmark.

• No one from outside Texas can really understand that this is not fear-mongering, but rather our love of freedom and liberty, and Sam Houston said, “Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may.” What the RNC has no merit in this state. What the military higher echelons say is not relevant since they take their orders from an illegitimate CIC.

Practice all you want, but when you begin to use real names as enemy states, there’s a problem, particularly when the states involved are adamantly opposed to this administration.

• I’m a born and raised Texan (a Navy vet and a UH alum), and I totally get where you’re coming from. I might not live in TX anymore but I’m proud of my state and will likely die there one day (hopefully when I’ve lived a long life!).

Do remember that Sam Houston was kicked out of office due to his pro-Unionist stance and replaced by the pro-secessionist Mirabeau Lamar back when the Civil War was about to kick into gear. It’s a nice quote but context is important.

Also keep in mind that you’re in a very very small minority who is still taking the stance of President Obama being “illegitimate”. It’s your opinion and you’re entitled to have it, but don’t be surprised when people call you on it. We can agree to disagree – people should do that more often and still be civil afterwards.

• By any measure, Obama is illegitimate. How many times has he taken an Oath of Office and lied? How many times has he betrayed friends and allies, to bow to foreign dignitaries? How many times has he skirted around Constitutional limits? All of this without even questioning his birth. I have no problem being called out.

• Randy: If your argument had any merit AT ALL, Obama would have been successfully impeached and removed from office long ago; certainly after 2010 when the GOP took control of both houses of Congress. The INaction of the very conservatives you support shows just how vapid your argument is. You are a mindless slave to right-wing talk radio.

• Actually I am a slave to liberty and freedom as spelled out in the Declaration of Independence, The Constitution of The United States, and The Federalist Papers.

• Being a “slave to liberty and freedom” is your problem, Randy, because neither exist in ABSOLUTE TERMS. You cannot preach sedition or cry “Fire” in a crowded theater. And as far as the 2nd amendment is concerned, the Founding Fathers set limits which is why the phrase well-regulated militia appears in the 2nd amendment.

• “The well regulated militia necessary to the security of a free
                    state was a militia that might someday fight against a standing army raised and supported by a tyrannical national government. Obviously, for that reason, the Framers did not say “A Militia well regulated by the Congress, being necessary to the security of a free State” — because a militia so regulated might not be separate enough from, or free enough
                    from, the national government, in the sense of both physical and operational control, to preserve the “security of a free State.””
                    http://www.lectlaw.com/files/gun01.htm

• Randy: Who then, “regulates” the militia? The very existence of the phrase “well regulated militia” makes unequivocally clear that there are some sort of limits on 2nd amendment rights. The pity is that the Framers never spelled them out

• They did not have to spell it out because everyone then knew exactly what that meant. It meant that you were expected to help defend your community, city, county, state, nation as a matter of public obligation. This is what people of character did. Regulate then did not mean control as it does today. Countless examples exist of words changing meaning to suit the particular fad of the day. Your circuitous arguments with not having read anything about it are boring. You spout nothning more than the blather and talking points being repeated by all the liberal, tingle up my leg, bed-wetting mainstream media sources who support the takeover of this Republic (NOTE: THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY).

• And you, Randy, spout “nothing more than the blather and talking points being repeated by all”… right-wing media outlets and people like Larry Pratt over at the Gun Owners of America whose paranoia is exceeded only by yours. How’s that “liberal” takeover going, Randy? It’s been 230+ years and it hasn’t happened. But of course, the reason for that is that you are ever on-guard and vigilant (Sic).

• Well 1913 was the pivotal moment when liberty and freedom began to be lost. Income tax and popular election of senators began then, so to say it hasn’t happened is disingenuous. States Rights were subverted. 102 years of “progressive” policies, which by the way is a code word used by Marx.