Baseball Sports

Cougars fall to Pirates in AAC title game

The Cougars’ offense had a tough day Sunday, managing just five hits in a 9-1 loss to ECU.

Freshman starting pitcher Seth Romero went four and two-thirds innings, giving up six hits and five earned runs, while striking four batters.

Four Houston relievers combined to finish the day following Romero leaving the game.

Senior pitcher Jared Robinson went for 2.1 innings, allowing a hit and no earned runs with three strikeouts and a walk.

Sophomore pitcher Mardshall Kasowski went just one and two-thirds innings, with three un-earned runs on three hits.

The game would be finished by senior Aaron Garza, who pitched just one-third inning and retired the only batter he saw.

Romero would earn the loss on the day, dropping to 7-4 on the season, finishing his freshman campaign with a 2.15 ERA in his eleven decisions, with seven starts on the year.

Romero also recorded 84 K’s to just 19 walks in his first season in 75.1 innings of work.

On offense, junior right-fielder Kyle Survance led the Cougars, managing two hits on four appearances at the plate.

Freshman left-fielder Corey Julks had one hit on the day and scored a run, while junior third-baseman Justin Montemayor had the only RBI of the day, thanks to his sacrifice fly in the bottom of the second inning.

The Cougars will now await word on where they’ll play in post-season action, with the NCAA Selection Show set to take place on May 25 at 11 a.m.

Houston baseball will be hosting a watch party for the selection show at Lucky’s Pub in downtown, with doors opening at 10 a.m.