Faculty & Staff News

Vice president to be honored for contributions to student affairs

walker_john_jones

Vice President of Student Affairs Richard Walker will be recognized for Outstanding Performance as a Senior Student Officer by the Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education.  | Courtesy of UH

The vice president for Student Affairs and Enrollment Services at UH will be recognized for success and service with the Region III John Jones Award for Outstanding Performance as a Senior Student Affairs Officer from the Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education.

Richard Walker, who is also the vice chancellor for SAES for the UH System, will receive the award for his competency, respect, support, innovation and contributions to his field, according to NASPA.

“He is an exemplary candidate who serves as a role model not only to his own division, but across the UH System, the University of Houston, and within NASPA,” UH President Renu Khator said in her nomination letter for Walker.

Walker joined UH in 2011, and has since organized a division of 27 departments and over 1,450 employees, as well as overseeing the opening of two residence halls and the expansion of the Student Center.

He also created new programs and helped enhance the first-year student experience.

“(His) commitment to effective campus partnerships is fostered through his tenacity for excellence, his uplifting spirit, his results driven attitude and his belief that students and the campus community benefits greatly when the division delivers Tier One programs, services and facilities,” said UHS associate vice chancellor and UH associate vice president for Student Affairs Daniel Maxwell.

Walker will receive the award at the NASPA Region III Summer Symposium.