Soccer Sports

ESPN Deportes #Redes hosts show at UH

UH students join Correspondent Alba Galindo as she hosts #Redes

ESPN Deportes broadcasted their show “#Redes” today at the UH Student Center Plaza. | Efren Diosdado/The Cougar

ESPN Deportes broadcasted their sports and pop-culture TV show “#Redes” today at the Student Center Plaza as part of their University Tour.

#Redes correspondent Alba Galindo plays soccer trivia UH students.

#Redes correspondent Alba Galindo plays soccer trivia with  UH students | Efren Diosdado/The Cougar

Students were invited to attend the hour-long broadcast and participate with #Redes correspondent Alba Galindo in games and interviews as the show discussed the upcoming soccer match between Mexico and Honduras at NRG Stadium tomorrow.

“The experience I had here at the University of Houston was beautiful,” Galindo said, “It was really nice having the (cheerleaders) and the band. I loved it.”

Communications junior Jose Martinez knew about the event and made sure he made it out to UH to be a part of the show.

“It was awesome being a part of this,” Martinez said. “I saw a tweet (about it) from (ESPN journalist) Robert Flores (who) used to come here.”

Alba Galindo takes a selfie with participating students.

“Of course if they invite me, I will be here again,” Galindo said. | Efren Diosdado/The Cougar

Other students like integrated public relations and advertisement sophomore Walter Goldsberry casually stumbled across the broadcast and decided to take part.

“I was getting McDonald’s and came across it,” Goldsberry said. “It’s exciting to see UH getting a lot of coverage from ESPN. It’s dope.”

Overall ESPN producer David Walsh said he was satisfied with how the show turned out despite it being recorded in the summer, when students are known to be away from campus.

“At 10:30 a.m. it was looking like ‘hmm’,” Walsh said. “I didn’t know how many people were going to be here because it was 90 degrees, but when we saw the marching band show up that was great. The participation with the students was fantastic.  We couldn’t have asked for anything better.”