News Uncategorized

Memorial service to celebrate legacy of Rathindra Bose

The Moores School of Music will celebrate the life of vice president and vice chancellor for Research and Technology Transfer in UH and UH Systems, Rathindra N. Bose, on Aug. 11 at 1 p.m. He was 63 when he passed away from a short illness on July 10.

Bose’s guidance in the Division of Research accumulated $104.6 million in research expenditures in 2014, a rise of $48.6 million since he started his tenure in August 2011. He oversaw dissertations and theses of 14 doctorate and several masters degree students in campus, devoting his passion to research and helping others.

“I have the best job in the world,” Bose said to Texas Medical Center News last year. “I work with the most productive researchers and their accomplishments. I want to do all I can to help them accomplish their goals.”

The biochemistry professor’s anti-cancer agent – phosphaplatins – was in the beginning stages of a FDA-approved clinical trial. The University created a memorial fund in Bose’s name with the intent to continue the mission of his research.

“I was trying to create a class of affordable and less toxic cancer drugs that would have a broad impact in society,” Bose said to TMC News.

Born in Bangladesh, Bose earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees in chemistry from Rajshahi University, and later completed his doctorate in chemistry at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., in 1982. After serving as Ohio University’s vice president for research and dean of the graduate college since 2008, Bose came to UH in 2011 to become a part of the premier research university enterprise.

“I will always remember thinking that Roth seemed at his happiest when surrounded by his colleagues debating the challenges of the day,” said Mark Clarke, interim associate provost for faculty development and faculty affairs. “Roth will be missed by the University of Houston as a leader, but I will miss him as my mentor and friend.”