News Uncategorized

Glazed Doughnuts glides into The Nook Cafe

The glazed doughnut

The Nook’s barista Kent Childress said the croissants from “French Riviera” are another big seller, now with the addition of Glazed doughnuts, Cougars will get numerous options from the regular glazed doughnuts to the maple-bacon drizzled bite. I Sonia Zuniga/The Cougar

Two C.T. Bauer School of Business’ alumni joined forces in a delectable delivery by introducing Glazed Doughnuts’ treats into the Nook Café’s variety of pastries since last week.

Speech pathology sophomores Chenelle Walker and business management and biology sophomore Vanessa Almaguer are regular customers who now have the option between seven flavors: plain glazed, chocolate glazed, cinnamon sugar, the “Dirty Zebra” which has caramel, chocolate and vanilla glaze, “Raspberry Love,” “Lemon Poppyseed” and “The Macon” which has maple glaze with bacon garnished on top.

“I have a sweet tooth,” Walker said, smiling down at Almaguer, “I actually just had a s’mores cupcake.”

Music senior and Nook employee, Kent Childress said many pastries have sold since last week’s launch of Glazed Doughnuts.

“Everyone seems to be pretty excited about it,” Childress said. “We sell croissants from French Riviera, and now we’ve added to the variety of pastries our clients can choose from.”

The tasting verdict?

“I’ve tried them all and my favorite would have to be the maple bacon,” he said. “It’s really good.”

The Nook Café’s owner Derek Shaw graduated from Bauer in 2011 with a MBA in finance and management, while his new partner and owner of Glazed Doughnuts Edose Ohen, MBA in supply management and global management, graduated in 2013. To Almaguer, this collaboration means more than an added treat to her coffee, but an added sense of encouragement.

“I realized that I could walk out of the Bauer School of Business with that much leadership and encouragement to start my own business and maybe be able to collaborate within my university or any other business,” Almaguer said.

Organization psychology graduate student Zack Roberts, agrees that this collaboration will bring great business, and maybe get him to see what the rave is all about.

“I have more of an opportunity to buy these doughnuts now that it’s here,” Roberts said. “I applaud the Cougar pride and support it; it’s a wholesome effort from both parties.”

To make things sweeter, The Nook will have a few rotating flavors coming forward such as the Cap’n Crunch, s’mores and Rice Krispies doughnuts.

“It’s always great to support our fellow Cougars,” Childress said.