Commentary Football Sports

Round table: Will Houston fall victim to a trap game, yet again?

Football Practice WEB 2

The Cougars have been working on building a team-wide toughness this off-season, a trademark Tom Herman wants to carry through the entire roster. | Michael Calderon/The Cougar

In this weeks round table, The Cougar sports staff talks about the upcoming football season and the possibility of UH falling victim of another trap game.

It’s finally almost time for football. Predict the outcome of the Cougars’ first game against the Tennessee Tech Golden Eagles.

Staff Writer Michael Calderon: The Golden Eagles should be a good warm up for the Cougars. Expect a blowout score, somewhere in the neighborhood of 45-17. The early going of the game should feature the starters pulling away and sitting out the latter part of the game, with the back end of the roster performing mop-up duty and keeping Tennessee Tech from mounting a comeback.

Staff writer Tevin Mills: The fact that it will be the home opener and the first game under new coach Tom Herman should be all the motivation the Cougars need to kick off the season with a win. It’s the beginning of the year so everyone should be relatively healthy and with all things considered, Houston should, I repeat, should, simply trot out a better roster than Tennessee Tech.

What is the toughest game on the schedule for UH this season?

Assistant sports editor Efren Diosdado: The toughest game of the season will come in week two against the Louisville Cardinals in Kentucky. The Cardinals finished with a 9-4 overall record last season, only dropping one game at home against none other than the Florida State Seminoles. I predict the Cougars will carry some of the momentum from the season opener and squeeze out a close victory. This game is important for the Cougars to set the tone for the season.

Sports editor Bryce Dodds: I think the toughest test of the year will be the regular season finale at home versus Navy. Navy is one of the few programs in the FBS to still run the triple option, and with the trouble Houston had at times shutting down the run last year and the unfamiliarity with a team who runs it proficiently, I think the Midshipmen will give the Cougars fits.

Which senior do you think makes the biggest impact this season?

TM: Senior running back Kenneth Farrow. And apparently I’m not the only one who feels this way. Farrow was recently named to the Walter Camp Player of the Year Watch List, the Doak Walter Award Watch List, and the Maxwell Award Watch List. I expect to finish his UH career on a high note.

BD: I think senior safety Trevon Stewart is going to have a big year for the Cougars. Both he and fellow senior Adrian McDonald have been the leaders on defense for quite a while, but Stewart will be looking to rebound from an injury sustained last season to his shoulder. I think he will be back at top form this season and will continue to make the impact on defense that we’ve become accustomed to seeing.

What one thing does Houston need to do really well this season to make it to the AAC Championship game?

ED: With the new coaching staff taking over and a new system being implemented, I think Houston needs to find their identity early in the season. They need figure out what works for them and stick to it, making sure that they’re making improvements weekly and that everybody is on the same page. Consistency will be also be a huge factor, especially late in the season.

MC: Create turnovers. With the strength of the defense lying in its secondary, the corners and safeties must take the ball away. New defensive coordinator Todd Orlando should bring more pressure on opposing QBs with his blitz-heavy scheme and it will be up to those guys to take advantage of errant and hurried throws. It is an age-old philosophy, but it is effective regardless. If they can take the ball away more on defense and protect it more on offense, the Cougars can compete with any team in the country.

• Getting a lead early in the game and keeping it will force the opposition to throw, which is our defense’s greatest strength, will win games for the Cougars.
    \n/