Sports Volleyball

Q&A: New volleyball assistant looks to build consistency in the offense

Volleyball Ron Arenz

Assistant coach Ron Arenz came to Houston this past off season to help with the offense, specifically the setters. Arenz spent the past seven seasons with the University of Akron, which he helped lead to their best seasons since 2003. | Bryce Dodds/The Cougar

When the Cougars started their volleyball season last week at the Texas Tech Fall Invitational, there was a new face on the bench.

During the offseason, UH hired former University of Akron head coach Ron Arenz as an assistant coach to work with the offense, specifically the setters.

Before UH headed out on their road trip, The Cougar had a chance to talk with Arenz about Houston, the development of the team and the goal for this season.

The Cougar: You’ve been here a few months now. Coming from Ohio, how has the adjustment to Houston been?

Ron Arenz: It’s been great. I’m originally from a big city in southern California, so there were a lot of big city characteristics that came back to me. It’s been a nice transition.

TC: Following leaving Akron, what led you to Houston?

RA: Partly a great opportunity with a great staff, a leadership core that I’m familiar with and an opportunity to continue influencing the lives of student athletes.

TC: How has it been working with head coach Kaddie Platt and fellow assistant coach Jason Allen?

RA: It’s been great. Collectively, there’s a lot of experience that we each bring to the table. It’s an opportunity for me to utilize some of the skills and experiences that I’ve had in the past for our own program.

TC: Who have been the really vocal leaders on the floor so far?

RA: Our seniors, because they’re motivated, ya know, this is their pomp and circumstance. Sophie [Paine] has always been a vocal leader, she’s mature beyond her years, and I know Olivia [O’Dell] has really stepped up the vocal role as well.

TC: While working with the setters on the offensive side, what are you working on improving with the team this year?

RA: For us, it’s always going to be about skill development and execution at high levels, and then also building a chemistry and a team cohesion that will be able to sustain the stressful times that we’re going to experience during a match.

TC: How would you describe the mood or the attitude of this team?

RA: Hungry. Hungry and motivated.

TC: What do you think is one of the biggest strengths for this team?

RA: I think one of the biggest strengths for this group is that they have something to prove. It’s a new team, we’ve lost some pretty key pieces It’s an opportunity for others to step into those roles, and so I think those are things that we’re going to lean on.

TC: What were some things that you saw in the game that you’d like to work on a bit more as the season goes on?

RA: Ball control is always the number one piece. Our ability to pass and dig the ball is going to dictate the level of play that we’re going to be capable of playing.

TC: What are your expectations for the team this season?

RA: Always do the best they can. Always be competitive and to fight for every match.