Commentary Sports

Strong group of middle blockers promising for Cougars

WEB-IMG_0047

Sophomore Shelby Harper transferred into UH before this season, and the Cougars will be looking to her for strength in the middle. | Bryce Dodds/The Cougar

As the Cougars prepare for their second tournament of the season, they’ll be hoping for a similar outcome as last time.

The Cougars took second place at the Texas Tech Fall Regional behind some strong play from the team as a whole.

This week, we’re focusing on UH’s talented group of middle blockers.

Senior Courtney Smith: In her final year with the Cougars, Smith will be looking to build on the strong performance she had last season.

Smith appeared in 27 matches last season, starting 23 of them.

Even when appearing in 95 sets, Smith recorded 65 blocks and 42 kills last season, but appears ready to take on a bigger role for this year.

Junior Hunter Wise: After a breakout season in her sophomore year, Wise will grow in her role this season.

Wise made 19 starts and 31 appearances last year for the Cougars. She will use her past experience to build on her game.

Wise recorded 147 kills last season, a career best for her, with a hitting percentage of .260, while collecting 51 blocks.

In just three matches played this season, Wise already has 27 kills.

Sophomore Shelby Harper: Harper is new to the team after transferring in during the offseason from the University of Arkansas.

Although Harper only played in 25 sets while at Arkansas, she will be looking to take on a larger role with the Cougars this season.

During the Texas Tech Fall Invitational, Harper registered 21 kills in nine sets.

The coaching staff will be hoping for more of the same as the Cougars travel to the Sawyer Camillo Memorial Tournament this weekend.

Redshirt freshman Chenelle Walker:  After redshirting her first season, Walker will continue building the strong foundation she set in high school and provide some offense.

Walker collected 20 kills and added five blocks in a strong defense performance in the Cougars’ first three games this season.