Commentary Soccer

Can the Cougars capitalize in five-game home stand?

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_2123

After a rough start to the season, the Cougars offense exploded for four goals against the University of Incarnate Word. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

This week, The Cougar sports staff takes a look at the women’s soccer team, who, after a slow start, have found some success on the pitch.

What is the biggest strength of the women’s soccer team this season?

Sports writer Tevin Mills: Easily the goalkeeping abilities of Jordan Brown. The senior is serving as a saving grace for the Cougars’ back end, just as she was last year. Despite only playing one full season at UH, she is just the seventh Cougar to record 100+ saves for the soccer team. Her admirable play will be desperately needed as the season continues.

Sports writer Francisco Casillas: Their biggest strength is their resiliency, they just stay on the attack til they score a goal. The aggressiveness they showed against Incarnate Word is what wins games and the girls have plenty of that as well as keeping their cool when the opponent is at their door steps trying to score against them.

What is the team’s biggest weakness?

Sports Editor Bryce Dodds: I think ball control is something the team will have to focus on. They want to be able to dictate the pace of the game and play their way, but they need to make smart passes in order to do that. They’ve done a decent job so far this season, but improvement in this area will do the team a world of good.

Sports writer Shardanna Jones: Their biggest weakness is the fact that they have so many new faces and are in the rebuilding stage, and that they tend to be more of a second-half team. They play from behind a lot, playing catch up, instead of coming out and dominating from the beginning. The role players need to step it up and show they aren’t afraid to get on the ball.

What is your impression of the team so far this season?

TM: Lackluster on all accounts. The offensive output obviously needs improvement but the total scoring discrepancy for the season suggests the Cougars are struggling to win the possession battle, which means lack of scoring cannot be blamed on forwards only. The midfielders and defenders also need to improve their play to give the strikers more opportunities.

FC: After having seen a few games, it’s kind of hard to tell. The team has a good core of players, but as stated before, their teamwork could be better to place themselves in better scoring positions and capitalize on their opportunities.

What do you expect out of the Cougars in their upcoming five-game home stand?

BD: I expect the Cougars to come away with at least three wins in those five games. The win against Incarnate Word was a great way to bust a bit of a slump, and the four goals scored in that game will give this team some confidence as they look forward to the start of conference play.

SJ: I expect them to get angry and find a way. I believe the first few losses will light a fire under the team and they will turn it around.