Sports Tennis

Junior places 42nd in initial ITA singles rankings

Freshman Despoina Vogasari went from playing for herself to cheering for teammates during her six months at UH. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Junior Despoina Vogasari will be looking to build on a strong career for the Cougars this season. | File photo/The Cougar

In the first Intercollegiate Tennis Association singles ranking of the season, junior Despoina Vogasari placed 42nd.

Last season, Vogasari had one of the most prolific seasons in UH history, winning 30 singles matches, as well as 19 doubles matches.

Vogasari also made an appearance in 19-straight ITA rankings, reaching as high as No. 21 in the nation last season.

For her play last year, Vogasari was named the American Athletic Conference Player of the Year. She also earned a bid to the NCAA Singles Championships at the end of the season.

Vogasari is one of the most storied tennis players to play at UH, holding the best career doubles record, as well as being third in Houston record books in singles record.

She will begin her season next month when she represents the Cougars at the Rivera/ITA Women’s All-American Championships.

Vogasari is one of four upper-classmen on the team and will be looking to use her experiences from the past two seasons at UH to lead the team deeper into the NCAA playoffs this season.