Sports Volleyball

Senior libero earns Defensive Player of the Week Honors

Olivia O'Dell WEB (3)

Senior libero Olivia O’Dell has been both a vocal and statistical leader for the Cougars this season, as she leads the team with 200 total digs. | Bryce Dodds/The Cougar

Senior libero Olivia O’Dell was honored with her second title as American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Week following her strong play at the North Texas Invitational.

O’Dell has stepped up into the role of libero this season, taking over after the departure of senior Natalie Keck from last year’s team.

O’Dell posted 59 digs this past weekend at the NTI, including a pair of 20-plus dig matches against both Abilene Christian University and Boise State University.

Along with averaging double-digit digs in every match so far this season, O’Dell has also recorded a team-high 200 digs, with a 6.06 dig-per-set average.

This season, O’Dell has stepped up not only as a statistical leader for the Cougars, but a vocal leader on the floor.

As one of four seniors, O’Dell is using her years of experience in head coach Kaddie Platt’s system and her familiarity with the team to get off to a great start this season.

Currently, the Cougars sit at 7-2 this season with a win at the Sawyer Camillo Memorial Tournament earlier this season.

The Cougars are currently preparing for their final tournament before the beginning of conference play, the Flo Hyman Collegiate Cup, which the Cougars will host this weekend.

The Cougars begin action in the Cup against Nicholls State University on Friday afternoon, with the game set to begin at 3 p.m.