President Khator honored by USHCC

UH President and Chancellor Renu Khator was honored with the “Excellence in Leadership Award” by the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce at the organization’s national convention this week.

“I was literally surprised and asked at least twice, ‘Are you sure? Are you sure it is me?’,” President Khator said. “I consider it a big honor to stand on the national stage, represent the University of Houston and accept this award on behalf of all the great work done by all of us together.”

The USHCC said that as the first woman to lead the UH System and the first Indian immigrant to oversee a major research university, Khator was the perfect fit for the award.

“President Khator has not only broken the glass ceiling, but her commitment to education has served as an inspiration for Americans, women, and immigrants of all backgrounds,” USHCC President and CEO Javier Palomarez said in a press release. “President Khator’s outstanding achievements underscore the vision, intellect, discipline, and resolve of women in leadership. The USHCC is proud to honor President Khator with this award.”

Khator said she is particularly honored to receive the award from the USHCC because of UH’s strong ties with the Hispanic community.

“Since the Hispanic community is an increasingly important presence in our city, the University of Houston is committed to making sure we acknowledge and support that expanding role,” Khator said. “This award, like our being designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, is another example of that commitment. “

With a record-setting enrollment for this fall of over 42,000 students, 300 academic programs and a $2 billion budget, Khator has raised the bar for UH.

“As with many awards, I am fortunate to be the named recipient, but it really represents an honor to be shared by all of UH and the people of Houston,” Khator said.