UH “Bright spot in Hispanic education”

The White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics recently recognized UH’s Academic Achievers Program from the Center of Mexican American Studies as a national “Bright Spot in Hispanic Education.”

“This national recognition is a great testament to both the AAP and the dedication of the University of Houston students who continue to be a part of it,” said Paula Myrick Short, Senior Vice Chancellor and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost for UH.

The program has raised the bar for Hispanic education and will be part of a national online catalog that includes more than 230 programs. CMAS faculty and staff have worked hard over the years to improve the Hispanic studies program in order to achieve this recognition.

“The faculty, staff and the central administration had to work together to obtain this honor,” Associate Professor of Latin American and Hispanic Studies Guillermo De Los Reyes said.

“The Latino Faculty Council has been working hard for many years trying to make this a priority. I am glad to see that all the hard work is producing great accomplishments.”

UH’s enrollment has increased every year which has lead the University to improve many academic areas, especially Hispanic studies.

“Profound changes have taken place at UH in the last years, and it has also improved the work of units that closely work with the Hispanic community: Social Work, Education, Hispanic Studies, Mexican-American Studies, the School of Business and Communications,” Professor of Spanish Linguistics Manuel Gutiérrez said.

Due to the increased energy on academics and the growing diversity on campus, UH has huge impact on students while they are enrolled in classes and beyond graduation.

“It really surprised me that people from (different) places would come to the University of Houston to study,” liberal studies freshman Lizette Juarez said.

“This is a great advantage for Hispanics because many times there’s a setback for us. So being at UH and it being known for that definitely gives me pride in being a Coog.”

As a diverse campus, many students embrace the different cultures and ethnicities at UH. Faculty and staff members are also proud to be working at a university as diverse as UH.

“Working at UH at this moment feels great because our institution values diversity,” Reyes said.

“Moreover, the fact that we were named one of the best colleges for advancing Hispanic education motivates me to work harder and makes me proud.”

Being recognized as a “Bright Spot in Hispanic Education” will create opportunities not only for UH but also for many inspiring students.

“This recognition makes UH a better institution in the public eye,” Gutierrez said.

“UH authorities will continue making decisions to improve our service to the Hispanic community and other communities as well. UH has proven to be of great benefit to minority students of all backgrounds.”