Opinion Staff Editorial

Weekly report card: Krispy Kreme opening in Houston…eventually

EDITOR’S NOTE: This is the first of a weekly report card that the opinion desk is going to be handing out. If you have any suggestions, tweet us @thedailycougar with #TCweeklyreportcard

1. The Pope — A
    Pope Francis visited Washington D.C. this week becoming only the fourth pope to ever visit the United States. In his first direct address to the nation, Pope Francis weighed in on issues including climate change, Cuba, marriage and immigration. Of course, social media had to capitalize on this special event. What better way to pay homage to the pope than with his personal local Snapchat filter for his arrival in Washington D.C. Pope Francis has proven to be quite humble and unique. He’s separated himself from traditional beliefs and we appreciate that. He’s a modern pope who knows how to relate to the youth – from taking selfies to being proficient in social media.

2. Krispy Kreme Coming to Houston — B
    How many times have we heard this? The doughnut company was scheduled to open in Houston on Feb. 17, but it was delayed a of couple times because of construction and building permit approvals. But now – hopefully – we can expect them to open in October. Our only concern is that the wait has dragged on quite a bit, taking away from the anticipation. So Krispy Kreme gets an A for coming to Houston, but has to be deducted a letter-grade for being late.

3. McDonald’s Breakfast all day — B
    Beginning Oct. 6, McDonald’s will start selling breakfast all day. This includes the McDonald’s at the Student Center. College students who enjoy sleeping in on weekends can rejoice. No more rushing to McDonald’s to get your McGriddle fix. You can now sleep in until noon and not worry about missing out on the guilty pleasure that is McDonald’s breakfast.
  4. Volkswagon emmissions — F
    Reports surfaced that Volkswagen had systematically rigged emissions tests to pass the standards for criteria air pollutants. This not only shattered Volkswagen’s environmentally friendly image, but it caused Chief Executive Martin Winterkorn to resign on Wednesday because VW needs a “fresh start”. Or, maybe because he couldn’t dig himself out of this hole. Volkswagen will also be firing three top executives, regardless of whether they knew about the cheating, by the end of the week. This includes the head of the company’s U.S. operations and top engineers at premium VW brands, Audi and Porsche. Volkswagen, you got caught cheating, and that means you automatically fail this assignment. No amount of PR will allow you to redo this assignment.
    https://twitter.com/Volkswagen/status/646406987270496256
    https://twitter.com/ShanaRappaport/status/646479238141337600

• The Krizzly Kreme story is a total joke in Houston. Their Hwy 6N site, announced with considerable media hype in late 2014, has been postponed w/ regularity since Feb 2015. The long delayed 5811 Westheimer location, supposed to open in June, then July, then…you get the picture…MAY OPEN now in mid October. Help Wanted signs are up and they’re interviewing. However the rookie staff needs at least 2 wks of hands on training first. Odds are KK on Hwy 6 N and 5811 Westheimer will (finally) open in mid-October.
    Other sites? Now for the bad news. Both the 3033 S Loop W (S Main @ Loop 610) and 4061 Spencer Hwy site in Pasadena won’t open until Feb-April 2016. Both KK and franchisee Sun Holdings/Dulce Restaurants say these two will open in mid-October. Drive by both and see for yourself. The 4061 Spencer Hwy site is still mud and grass! There are 2 additional KK sites to come in Pearland and Baytown, but they’re also 2016 openings.
    Forget the B rating you give KK. It deserves an F for repeated delays and its refusal to deal honestly w/ Houstonians.
    The author of the Chronicle story about KK’s return cribbed his info from a Houston Business Journal story featuring an interview with SunDulce’s CEO. Given KK and Sun/Dulce’s history of broken promises, delays and lies, it’s obvious these guys speak w/ a forked tongue.

• Krispy Kreme closed all its stores in Houston in 2006 after a disagreement between the company and franchise owners.

I say Krispy Kreme was not missed, and their constant delays a good prediction of what the future will be and history will repeat itself