Sports Volleyball

Cougars rebound on the road to tally second conference win

Freshman outside hitter Brookah Palmer has started just six matches this season for the Cougars, but has already impressed with a team-leading 110 kills so far. | Bryce Dodds/The Cougar

Stand-out freshman Brookah Palmer continued her strong season against USF, with 18 kills and another double-double. | File photo/The Cougar

Behind a series of strong performances, the Cougars captured their first conference road win of the season.

UH traveled to Tampa, Fla. for a match-up with the University of South Florida Bulls and came away with a five-set win.

The Cougars fell behind early, as the Bulls took the first set 25-21 and stumbled to start the second set, but quickly recovered coming back to tie the match at one all with a 25-21 win.

UH followed that up with a 25-18 win in the third set, putting them in position for an early win, however, the Bulls staged a comeback of their own, with a fourth set win 26-24.

In the decisive fifth set, UH managed to pull out a close win, 15-13, posting a win in their first conference road game of the season.

Freshman outsider hitter Brookah Palmer continued her strong play, again leading the team in kills as she recorded 18 digs, while adding 13 digs for another double-double.

Senior libero Olivia O’Dell also had a career night, as she tallied 37 digs, a best for her and the fifth most in a five-set match in UH history.

The Cougars now sit at 12-3 on the season, with a 2-1 record in the American Athletic Conference, and a scheduled game against the University of Central Florida on Sunday afternoon.