Spirit of Houston set to perform with local band the Suffers

The Suffers are a local Houston band that will perform with the Spirit of Houston Nov. 14. Photo courtesy of Daniel Jackson.

The Suffers are a local Houston band that will perform with the Spirit of Houston Nov. 14. | Photo courtesy of Daniel Jackson

The Spirit Of Houston knew they found the perfect Houston artist for their “Celebrate Houston” themed half-time performance after seeing The Suffers, a 10-piece band that borders between Gulf Coast soul, Classic American soul and Rock & Roll, perform March 30 on the Late Show with David Letterman.

“We all were blown away by their performance and reached out to the band right away,” Assistant Band Director Jamey Kollar said. “They were very excited to work on this collaborative opportunity with us.”

In collaboration with UH Athletics, the Spirit of Houston decided to coordinate and collaborate on game themes for overall fan experience.

“(The collaboration) means a lot,” Kam Franklin, lead singer for the Suffers said. “Both sides are leaving their normal comfort zones, so it means we will have to focus a lot more than usual on fully executing everything.”

The halftime performance is set for the Nov. 14 home game against the University of Memphis. SOH staff are working with the Suffers to have them perform at least one of their songs with the entire marching band, but many details are still not set in stone.

“The centerpiece of the halftime show (will) include The Suffers performing with the Spirit of Houston,” Kollar said. “There are other possible performance opportunities in the works during the game, but, again, that’s all in the works.”

Directors have a vision to showcase the past, present and future of Houston music for the “Celebrate Houston” theme.

“Including us in (the feel of the future) is more amazing than anything we could have ever hoped for,” Franklin said.

According to junior drum major Michael Gonzales the show will also feature a medley of Beyoncé songs that play homage to the city of Houston. The Suffers are expected to play an additional concert at the end of the game that Gonzales said is worth waiting for.

“This (show) is going to be awesome because the Suffers are a really good up and coming (Gulf Coast soul band),” Gonzales said. “It’s just really, really new age music, and I think its going to be a lot of fun for people of all ages to come and see.”

The Suffers will join the SOH for a handful of rehearsals leading up to the event starting later this month. The Suffers said they are excited to be able to work with the SOH and cannot wait for the performance.

“We have quite a few former marching band students in the band,” Franklin said. “Performing a song that we have written with a full on marching band is something most groups only dream about.”

“It is a huge honor for us to participate in this event, and we can’t wait to see everyone there. Go Coogs!”

The band is unable to release any word on what songs they may perform with the SOH, but they left with advice for the show.

“It’s going to be high-energy,” Franklin said. “So take precaution, and wear your dancing shoes.”