Cougars roll over Green Wave on the road

The Cougars returned to TDECU Stadium on Thursday and were triumphant over the Mustangs in a 49-28 win. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Cougars rolled into New Orleans and took an easy win over the Green Wave thanks to great defense and some strong offense. | File photo/The Cougar

The Cougars rolled into New Orleans on Friday night looking for revenge against the Tulane Green Wave and walked away with a huge 42-7 victory.

Coming off a Thursday night win against Southern Methodist University, Houston was looking to continue the momentum and pass the half-way mark of the season undefeated.

Houston got off to a good start, forcing Tulane into a three and out in the opening possession before Ward connected with junior receiver Chance Allen for 49 yards and a touchdown on the first offensive play of the game for UH.

From there, the Cougars continued to roll, both offensively and defensively, as they forced the Green Wave into a number of punts, while improving their lead to 14-0.

Tulane punched the ball in on for their first score of the game, but the Cougars responded with two touchdowns before halftime, as they carried a 24-7 lead into the break.

Coming out of half, the Cougars put a concerted effort into running the ball and the clock, while finding more success.

On their second drive of the third quarter, the Cougars got big plays from senior running back Kenneth Farrow to quickly move down the field, before Ward took it in from a few yards out for his third rushing touchdown of the game, making the lead 35-7.

Junior receiver Demarcus Ayers added to that with a dynamic 73-yard punt return for a touchdown, extending the lead to 42-7 and adding to his all-around impressive game.

From there, the Cougars rode out the clock, sealing up the win on the road and improving to 6-0 on the season and 3-0 against American Athletic Conference teams.

Ward led the offense on the night, going 17-25 with 222 yards, one touchdown and one interception through the air.

Ward also added 77 yards on the ground and three rushing scores, pushing his season total to 14 scores, which gives him the lead among all players in the NCAA.

Ayers did a little bit of everything for the Cougars also, pulling in six catches for 93 yards while racking up 175 punt return yards and a return touchdown, as well as a rushing touchdown, his first of the season.

The defense played well as a whole, holding Tulane to 262 total yards and just 11 first downs on the night.

The Cougars now can look forward to a game against the University of Central Florida next Saturday in Orlando, Fla, and UH will be looking for the win over the Knights after their comeback bid ended just short last year, with a fumble just before the goal line.