Commentary Football Sports

Five things to look for versus Vanderbilt

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_1207

Houston’s defense has not allowed a 100-yard rusher in 10 straight games. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The No. 18 Houston Cougars will play a thriller game versus the Vanderbilt University Commodores Saturday as they try to stay undefeated.

With Vanderbilt coming to town during Halloween weekend, here are five things to look for when the Cougars take the field.

Fans will be flocking into TDECU stadium to support their football team.

With the Cougars remaining undefeated and reaching the 18th spot in the AP Poll, fan attendance may surpass its record of 35,257 from the Texas State University game earlier this season.

Houston fans will have another chance to see how their Cougars stack up against another Power 5 contender when they face the Vanderbilt Commodores from the Southeastern Conference.

Expect Houston’s defense to black out Vanderbilt’s offense.

The Cougars’ defense did not disappoint against the University of Central Florida Knights. They set the tone early forcing and recovering a fumble. Houston’s defensive performance continued to dominate UCF’s offense throughout the game, holding them to a total of 10 points.

Houston’s offense can be the night prowler.

Despite UCF’s efforts to successfully stop Houston from scoring on their opening drive, it did not stop senior running back Kenneth Farrow from reaching a career-high of 167 rushing yards. Farrow recorded his third 100-yard game of the season as well as his third game with multiple rushing touchdowns.

Although the running game is effective, the passing game can be just as efficient with junior wide receiver Demarcus Ayers catching the ball. Ayers recorded his fourth touchdown of the season after catching a 67-yard touchdown pass from junior quarterback Greg Ward Jr.

Vanderbilt’s defense will be busy with Greg Ward Jr.

Although Houston may have a good core on the offense, Ward can be just as problematic for any defense with his dual play ability. Ward recorded a total of 210 passing yards and 46 rushing yards against the Knights.

With a win over Vanderbilt, Houston should continue to move up in the AP Poll.

After their 49-28 victory over Southern Methodist University, Houston placed 24th in the AP top 25. Since then they’ve jumped six spots sitting on the 18th seat of the rankings. With a win over Vanderbilt, expect the Cougars to continue to move up the rankings.