New ice-cream truck debuts on campus

A new food truck was recently added to the UH’s campus to satisfy every student’s sweet tooth.

Instead of serving tacos, waffles or barbecue, SMOOSH is a food truck that serves all things sugary and sweet, from mint chocolate milkshakes to bacon-covered ice cream.

SMOOSH specializes in creating uniquely delicious cookie ice cream sandwiches. Two cookies of a student’s preference are freshly baked, then any available flavor of ice cream is “SMOOSH”ed right in between, which is in fact where the name of the truck originated.

Patrons can choose from a wide array of toppings for the ice cream wedged in between.

Some of the toppings include marshmallows and nerds, not to mention the secret topping menu that carries some interestingly yummy options.

“With the many different ice cream flavors and toppings, the possibilities are endless,” UH Dining Services Marketing Manager Emily Fahner said.

While most of the available options contain sugar, there are those flavors that do not, such as the Country Apple Pie ice cream. And with the season of pumpkin spice lattes and candy corn in our midst, there is of course the Pumpkin Pie flavored ice cream.

“I ordered a vanilla ice cream chocolate chip cookie sandwich that was really good and filling,” biology freshman Rachel George said. “The ice cream wasn’t overly sweet and complemented with the chewy chocolate chip cookie.”

The online calendar on the UH Dining Services website has a schedule of which food trucks are on campus and when, so students know when SMOOSH is available.

Aside from being at UH, the truck travels to other various college campuses and locations in the Houston area, such as Houston Baptist University and Rice Village.

“I’ve heard so many good things about SMOOSH. I can’t wait until it comes back on campus so I can finally see what people are talking about,” hotel and restaurant management freshman Adria Watson said.

SMOOSH has introduced a rather different approach to Houston food trucks, allowing the customer to pick and choose unusual tastes to mix together. Some may consider SMOOSH their newest guilty pleasure.

“We believe the build-your-own concept is such a fun twist on a childhood favorite,” Fahner said, “SMOOSH brings new flavors to the program that we did not have before.”

For more information about SMOOSH food truck’s rotation on the UH campus, visit www.uh.edu/dining/foodtrucks.