AP Poll: Cougars jump two spots, Tigers drop 10 in latest rankings

Students and alumni showed up to support their Cougars for Homecoming with a total attendance of 32,889.

After escaping with a 33-30 win over the Cincinnati Bearcats, the Cougars moved up two spots in the latest AP Top 25 Poll. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The latest edition of the AP Top 25 poll featured shifts in the top 10, and only six undefeated teams remain in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

The Cougars reached their highest ranking this season as one of those six undefeated teams. After grabbing a close win over the University of Cincinnati Bearcats, they found themselves ranked 16th in this week’s poll.

The Clemson University Tigers moved up two spots into first place, while Ohio State University dropped one spot into second place.

The University of Alabama, Baylor University and Oklahoma State University round out the top five, with the University of Notre Dame trailing Oklahoma State.

Both Texas Christian University and Michigan State University dropped out of the top 10, each falling eight spots into 13th and 14th respectively.

The University of Memphis Tigers experienced the largest drop of the week after their loss to the United States Naval Academy, as they fell 10 spots down into 25th place.

Oklahoma State made the biggest jump in this poll, as it handed TCU its first loss of the season and found itself rewarded as the newest member of the top five.

Despite the Tigers’ big drop in the rankings, the American Athletic Conference has more teams in the AP Top 25 than it has all season, with Houston, Memphis, Temple University and Navy all in the rankings.

UH and Temple each picked up two spots in this ranking, with UH moving into 16th and Temple moving into 21st, while Navy entered the rankings for this first time this year at 22nd.

The University of Mississippi, Toledo University and Texas A&M University all dropped out of the rankings after suffering losses.

The Big 10 leads all conferences with six teams ranked in the Top 25, with the Southeastern Conference, Big 12 Conference and AAC tied for second with four teams each.

UH has a chance to improve on its rankings next Saturday when it hosts the 25th-ranked Memphis Tigers at 6 p.m.