Commentary Football Sports

AAC Conference match ups for week 11

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_7302

Houston is riding a 10 game winning streak, the nation’s fourth-longest active winning streak behind Ohio State University, Clemson University and Oklahoma State. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

With only three games left in the season, there are some important AAC matchups that offer a better look at who to expect in the AAC Championship.

No. 24 Houston (9-0, 5-0) vs. No 21. Memphis (8-1, 4-1) (AAC Conference Matchup)

The undefeated UH Cougars look to keep their streak alive and continue to climb the rankings when they face the University of Memphis Tigers. Memphis is coming off their first loss of the season after being upset by Navy. Both teams are looking for something to prove against each other and to the nation. This will be the first ranked opponent Houston faces in both the AP Top 25 and the NCAA playoff rankings. Expect this one to come down to the wire.

No. 20 Navy (7-1, 5-0) vs. SMU (1-8, 0-5) (AAC Conference Matchup)

Navy finally lands a spot in the rankings after upsetting Memphis last week. Navy’s only loss in the season came to No. 4 University of Notre Dame in week six. Southern Methodist University has lost their last seven games, their most recent coming to the hands of No. 22 Temple University. This should be a one-sided beatdown, unless SMU miraculously finds a way to pull the upset. The United States Naval Academy is scheduled to face UH during Thanksgiving break on Black Friday.

Tulsa (5-4, 2-3) vs. Cincinnati (5-4, 2-3) (AAC Conference Matchup)

Both teams enter the game with the same conference and overall record as they try to get a win up on each other. The University of Tulsa is riding a two-game winning streak after defeating the University of Central Florida. The University of Cincinnati is coming off a gut wrenching, 33-30, loss to Houston after pushing for a fourth quarter comeback but ultimately coming up short. Both teams have faced tough opponents, but Cincinnati has competed better against ranked opponents. Cincinnati should squeeze out a close victory this weekend.

Tulane (2-7, 1-5) vs. Army (2-7)

Tulane University is riding a five-game losing streak after having the luxury of facing Temple, Houston, Navy and Memphis consecutively. They’re set to face a team in Army that dropped four of their last five games. This should be a close game but don’t expect to take anything away from this matchup. Both teams haven’t done well, and a win doesn’t do much for either team this late in the season.

No. 22 Temple (8-1, 5-0) vs. USF (5-4, 3-2) (AAC Conference Matchup)

Like Navy, Temple’s only loss this season has come to No. 4 Notre Dame. They bounced back from the Notre Dame loss last week after defeating SMU. They’re scheduled to face University of South Florida who’s won four of their last five games. I expect USF to surprise Temple with an early lead, but after some halftime adjustments, Temple should pull away with a close victory.