Commentary Football Sports

Questions leading up to Houston versus Memphis

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_7722

No. 24 Houston versus No. 21 Memphis marks the first time a ranked UH team has hosted another ranked opponent since facing Southern Miss in Conference USA back in 2011. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Cougars are ready for their game against the University of Memphis Tigers, who were routed by Navy 45-20 last week. Questions still remain, however, as the Cougars take on a team in Memphis that shouldn’t be taken lightly.

Seeing that Navy’s offense had a ton of success on the ground in a win over the Memphis Tigers, do you think that will have an influence on the Cougar’s game plan this week?

The Midshipmen gashed the Tigers defense with the triple option last week, rolling up 374 yards and five touchdowns. If there is a weakness on this Memphis team it may be their run defense.

The Cougars, led by offensive coordinator Major Applewhite, run a more traditional offense compared to the Midshipmen. They could be considered just as effective or possibly more effective as they have the eighth ranked offense in the nation and average of nearly 44 points a game.

Explosive quarterback Greg Ward Jr. and hard-nosed running back Kenneth Farrow have combined to rush for 1,686 and 26 touchdowns this season.

This week features an intriguing head-to-head matchup between Memphis pro style quarterback Paxton Lynch and the elusive Greg Ward Jr., who do you think fares better in a game like this?

Lynch should have extra motivation coming into this game after losing out on having the chance to carry Memphis to an undefeated season and a possible New Years Six bowl invitation. The 6-foot-7-inch quarterback is a pocket passer that posses rare athleticism for an athlete at his position.

Ward, on the other hand, is coming off a game against Cincinnati in which he had 274 yards through the air and racked up over 182 yards on the ground.

Ward can beat teams through the air or on the ground as he has compiled over 2,000 yards passing while throwing for 13 touchdowns to only four interceptions.

Will the Cougars gain respect with a win the week over Memphis?

The Cougars are said to be an afterthought in the Bayou City behind the Texans, Rockets and Astros. Despite having four schools in the top 25 of the College Football Rankings, the American Athletic Conference is still not getting the respect it deserves by the CFP committee and most college football fans.

The Cougars also haven’t been able to fill TDECU stadium, despite an undefeated record.

Unfortunately, Memphis dropped from No.13 last week with its loss to Navy, so this matchup has lost a little bit of luster.  Memphis does, however, have notable wins over the University of Mississippi, who happens to be ranked in the top-25, and a formidable University of Cincinnati team.