News Uncategorized

Five things to look forward to this week

From the anticipated ice rink opening to giving back to the community and the last regular season game from the Cougar Football team, there’s a lot going on this week around UH. Here are five things, all happening here in Houston, to look forward to.

November 23: Zoo Lights to ring in the holidays

Houston Zoo 

6 p.m.

The Houston Zoo transforms into a winter wonderland, filled with a variety of colorful lights and holiday music. You can drink hot chocolate as you stroll through the zoo and take in all the awe-inspiring sights, including thousands of twinkling lights adorning the oak trees, whimsical projections and life-sized, animated animal sculptures.

UH students have free admission to the Houston Zoo with their Cougar Card, but Zoo Lights cost a little extra.

Members pay $9.95 and non-members pay $14.95 for Value Nights, which are held from 6  to 10 p.m.

Members pay $14.95, non-members pay $19.95 for Prime Nights, which are held from 6  to 11 p.m.

For more information, please call 713-533-6550 or visit the Houston Zoo Lights website.

November 24: Discovery Ice Rink

1500 McKinney 

6  to 10 p.m.

Ice skating at Discovery Green will be open Nov. 24 through Feb. 7.  Look for weekly events, including Cheap Skate Nights, Flicks on Ice and Skate with Santa, among others.

The ICE at Discovery Green presented by Houston First uses recycled water from Kinder Lake to create a 7,716 square-foot ice skating surface, making it the largest outdoor skating rink in the Southwest.

The $14 entries include skate rental and tax. Skating time limited to one and a half hours on all school holidays and weekends.

November 26: Thanksgiving Parade

Downtown

9 a.m.

The 66-year-old holiday tradition showcases the Houston community and entertains more than 200,000 spectators lining the streets on Thanksgiving morning. Join the celebration this year as different organizations embrace the holiday season.

The groups will showcase a variety of sensational floats, high-flying balloons, marching bands, artistic entries and live entertainment.

November 26: Give back with Houston’s Holiday Project

Grace Care Center of Cypress at 9602 Huffmeister

Grace Care Center of Katy at 23553 West Fernhurst Drive

9:30 a.m.

If you find yourself waiting on the turkey to cook, or just simply want to give back to the community, Houston’s Holiday Project invites youths and families to come and help them volunteer on Thanksgiving Day. Volunteers will visit local nursing homes to bring holiday cheer to others.

According to the Houston’s Holiday Project website, the visits last from 45 to 90 minutes. The program plans on finishing by 11:30 a.m. as most nursing homes begin lunch preparation at that time.

For more information, visit the website and fill out the sign-up sheet if you are interested.

November 27: UH Football v.s. Navy

TDECU Stadium

11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Come out and cheer on the UH Football team as they play Navy in the last regular season game. The game will kick off at 11 a.m. and air on ABC. Fans attending the UH vs. Navy football game are also encouraged to bring a new, unwrapped toy and donate it to KHOU 11’s annual Secret Santa Toy Drive. For more information visit the KHOU’s website.