News Obituary

Former UH president dies

P15195COLL6.P36

Glenn Goerke served as UH president and system chancellor during the late 1990’s. Photo courtesy of UH digital library.

Former UH President Glenn A. Goerke died earlier this month in New Hampshire. He was 84 years old.

“Glenn Goerke’s guidance as president of the University of Houston provided strong leadership for the merger of UH and the UH System administrations,” according to the UH website. “He identified three themes for his administration – students/enrollment management, leadership and accountability.”

The website also explains how Goerke was “instrumental in UH receiving a significant increase in higher Education Assistance Funds that made possible a 10-year construction and renovation program.”

Goerke was born in Lincoln Park, Michigan on May 15, 1931 to the late Albert and Cecil Goerke.  He grew up in Michigan and graduated from Eastern Michigan University and went on to receive his doctorate in adult and higher education from Michigan State University.

Goerke made a lasting impression at UH and was honored as President Emeritus at each of the University of Houston campuses where he served. He was also a proud veteran having served in the US Navy Reserves, and founded the veterans’ support group through the Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership, “BAHEP Cares!” according to his obituary.

Goerke is survived by his wife Joyce,  his daughter Lynn and her husband Todd,  his daughter Jill and her husband Fred and his son Kurt and his wife Beth.

“A natural leader and inspiration to others throughout his life, Glenn’s charisma and sense of humor warmed every room he entered, and he made every stranger a friend.  He has been honored by innumerable professional associations, civic associations, businesses, and NASA,” the obituary said.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations should be made to the Wright Museum or the Allen I. Stevens Scholarship Fund at Kingswood Regional High School.