AP Poll: Cougars drop eight spots following loss to UConn

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_0144

The Cougars have a chance to clinch first place in the West division of the AAC with a win against Navy on Friday. | File photo/The Cougar

Week 13 of the AP Top 25 poll saw two teams drop out of the top five and one American Athletic Conference team take a big dive.

The Cougars experienced their first loss of the season and fell from 13th all the way down to 21st in the rankings.

Only two teams remain undefeated in the Football Bowl Subdivision now, both retaining spots in the top five.

The undefeated Clemson University Tigers sit atop the polls in first, followed by the University of Alabama in second and the University of Iowa in third.

The University of Notre Dame and the University of Oklahoma round out the top five in the rankings in fourth and fifth respectively.

The previously-second and fourth ranked teams in the nation, Ohio State University and Oklahoma State University, each experienced upset losses on Saturday, dropping them down to eighth and ninth places.

The University of Mississippi experienced the biggest upward movement in this week’s poll, jumping six spots up into 19th place.

UH dropped the most spots in this week’s rankings, as they dropped eight spots down into 21st place.

The AAC placed three teams in poll, the United States Naval Academy at 16th, UH at 21st and Temple University at 25th.

Louisiana State University, the University of Utah, the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Southern California each dropped from the rankings with losses this past weekend.

The Big 10 Conference again put the most teams in the top 25, with five members ranked, followed by the Big 12 Conference, Southeastern Conference and Pac-12 Conference tied for second with four teams each.

The Cougars have a chance to clinch first place in the West division and a spot in the AAC championship game this Friday, when they host Navy in their regular season finale at 11 a.m.