BREAKING: Herman agrees to five-year contract extension

Head football coach Tom Herman has signed a new contract to stay with UH through the 2020-2021 season.

The deal is for five years, raising Herman’s annual salary to $2.8 million annually, as well changes to the buyout for the contract.

“My family and I are excited to renew our commitment to the University of Houston Football program,” said Herman in a news release. “We live in one of the greatest cities, and combined with a Tier One University and with the commitments to our program, it provides a great atmosphere for a championship culture. We are thrilled, and we are completely focused on tomorrow’s American Championship and representing the City of Houston on the national stage once again.”

Under the new buyout rules, a buyout of $2.25 million would now apply all the way until Feb. 28, 2019, an additional year at that price point.

A buyout of $2.5 million would be required prior to Feb. 28, 2017, but with the stipulation of the buyout being reduced by 25 percent if plans for an indoor practice facility are not approved by the Board of Regents by Sept. 1, 2016.

Additionally, the $2.25 million buyout would be reduced by 50 percent should the facility not be open or near opening as of Dec. 1, 2017 and would be reduced by 75 percent should the facility not be at or near completion as of Dec. 1, 2018.

With the high amount of vacancies in head coaching this offseason, Herman was a reported candidate for many Power-5 jobs, including the University of South Carolina and the University of Georgia in the Southeastern Conference.

In his first season at head coach, Herman has led the Cougars to an 11-1 regular season record and a 7-1 record in the American Athletic Conference, as well as an AAC West division title.

He is also the only first-year head coach in UH history to win the first 10 games of his career and has a chance to be only the second coach ever to have a 12-win season.

Houston will play Temple University on Saturday in the AAC championship game for a chance at their first conference title since 2006. The game is slated for an 11 a.m. kickoff inside of TDECU Stadium.

• He has the opportunity to do some special things at UH. He could go to another school in the future and continue a long line of of coaches out of a job with a 70% winning percentage. He could do that here and be a legend!

• Tom’s wife is from the Houston area, at least that’s what I heard. So we are glad he will be sticking around for a few years. If any of my critics will be at the game Saturday … I’ll be the one wearing … Red.