UH selected for Chick-Fil-A Peach bowl against Florida State

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_2444

The Cougars will play the Florida State Seminoles in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl in Atlanta on Dec. 31. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Cougars learned their postseason fate on Sunday when all the New Year’s 6 bowl match up were announced.

UH will face off against the Florida State University Seminoles in the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl in Atlanta on Dec. 31in the Georgia Dome, with kickoff scheduled for 11 a.m.

The Cougars earned a bid with a 24-13 win over Temple University in the American Athletic Conference Championship game on Saturday, winning their first conference title since 2006.

Florida State enters the game at 10-2 on the season, earning second place in the Atlantic Coast Conference’s Atlantic division.

Last year, FSU competed in the first-ever College Football Playoffs, but fell to the University of Oregon in the semifinals.

After the announcement, head coach Tom Herman spoke about guiding the Cougars to a major bowl in his first season.

“I’m excited. Any time you get to represent your University and your city in a New Year’s Day or New Year’s Eve bowl game is really special,” Herman said. “We would not be here if it were not for the leadership of the guys in the locker room and how hard they’ve fought to earn this right, so, regardless of who we’re playing, just the fact that we’ve earned the right to be there is something special.”

• Chick-fil-A? Chick … Chick … Chick-fil-A? Are you kidding me?

The same business that has been so offensive to our GLBT brothers and sisters on campus?

What about the folks at the campus LBGTQ Resource Center for goodness sake? Are none upset that our football team is playing in the CHICK-FIL-A Peach Bowl?

What about you Queer Coogs? Can you find enough comradeship in your Camaraderie Workshop to launch into action a BOYCOTT of the CHICK-FIL-A Bowl?

By having our team play in a CHICK-FIL-A sponsored event … it is tacit approval from our own UH LBGTQ community that what Chick-Fil-A’s Dan Cathy said about same-sex marriage was correct.

This is madness? Just because we are so close to Winter Break, and our football team draws a CHICK-FIL-A event. We just can’t lay down for this.

Look, we have 8 days until the campus essentially shuts down for the Winter Break.

Something can be done. Something has to be done, if we are to hold our heads high and proudly call ourselves LBGTQ Cougars.