Five things to look forward to during finals week

The Texas Yoga Conference took over the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center over the weekend, bringing yoga demonstrations and musical acts along with it. | Catharine Lara/The Daily Cougar

Visit the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center to try a gentle yoga session to help your stress levels this week. | File photo/The Cougar

To start of your Monday morning off right, here are a few events happening around campus that are sure to relive any stress you have for Finals Week, including canine companionship, free breakfast and a networking holiday party.

Monday: Illuminate your own manuscript

M.D. Anderson Library

7 to 9:30 p.m.

Unwind with a bit of coloring to make your own illuminated manuscript. UH Libraries Special Collections will be sponsoring a coloring stress-relief activity designed to give students a study break and highlight the interesting and unique material found in Special Collections.

Monday: Finals Mania

M.D. Anderson Library

8:30 to 10:30 pm

For those who are too stressed to think about their next meal, have no fear. The library is there for you. Enjoy a late-night breakfast including pancakes, turkey sausage, snacks, hot chocolate and more. Students must bring their Cougar Card with them to get these treats for free. This event is brought to you by UH Libraries, Dining Services, Auxiliary Services, Canteen Vending and Coca-Cola.

Tuesday: Joint Network Holiday Party

Baba Yega Cafe in the Jasmine Room

2607 Grant St, Houston, TX 77006

6 to 9 p.m.

The Natural Sciences and Mathematics, Technology, and Valenti School of Communication Alumni Associations will once again host their Joint Network Holiday Party where alumni can eat, drink and connect while networking. Students are invited, but must RSVP before the event. Any additional information can be reached by emailing [email protected].

Tuesday: De-stress with gentle yoga

Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, multipurpose room 4

12:15 to 1 p.m.

If you find yourself with tightened shoulders or an aching back after some back-to-back all-nighters of studying, this session is for you. Everyone interested in exploring a gentle yoga practice is welcome to attend this event. This class includes basic breathing exercises and a variety of yoga postures that will stretch out constricted muscles and hopefully alleviate your stress knots.

Monday through Thursday: Paws and relax with canines

M.D. Anderson Library

Rooms 106P and 106T

A dog is a man’s best friend for a reason; they provide comfort, ease and reduce anxiety and stress levels. Faithful Paws will bring certified therapy dogs to the M.D. Anderson Library for four days of stress relief. The event is free, so drop in for petting, snuggling and treat-feeding with these gentle and friendly canines.

The times are as follow:

Dec. 7 and Dec. 9 from 7 to 9 p.m.

Dec. 8 from 8 to 9 p.m.

Dec. 10 from 2 to 4 p.m.

For any additional information, please contact 713-743-1050.

For more information on free finals week events, check out a full schedule here. 

Good luck, and may the curve be ever in your favor.