Fall Finals Edition Special Section

A personal narrative on what not to do during finals

I have a problem in December and May where I understand the importance of those last three papers and four tests, but I just want to play video games with my friends.

Even if you don’t play video games as much as I do, you still have something that will always be a more attractive use of your time whether it’s Netflix, shopping or just chilling.

The typical day during finals week for me consists of the same four or five elements, depending on how outgoing my friends are.

I will plan to wake up early, turn off the alarm and accidentally fall back asleep until the early afternoon. After eating a sandwich for breakfast in the hopes of tricking my body into thinking I just ate lunch, I proceed with my shortened day.

I gather all of my study and essay-writing material at my desk — which is placed entirely too close to the bed that is still calling my name — and I start brainstorming. Even though I may have previously worked on whatever task is at hand, I always feel like I need to brainstorm for a good hour.

And by brainstorm, I mean get distracted by everything at my disposal.

Once I have finally gotten on track and started the five-page essay that’s due in two days, I get a text. Turning my phone over, I will see one of two things: the invitation to hang out with a friend, or a question: “League, anyone?”

Side note to all of you looking for something to play with your friends: don’t play League of Legends. It’s too late for me, but you can still be saved.

Three hours later, I have had my fill of socializing and have made the mature decision to get back to work. Every instance of writing an essay or studying for a test brings the same “that’s a good place to take a break” point.

Mostly, I will feel this way after writing a couple of pages without looking away or studying a handful of chapters in the same manner.

But, now I’m hungry.

And even if I’m not, the clock says it’s almost time for dinner, so I begin to think of which starch-based product to prepare from the comfort of my apartment.

After feeling fancy and taking spaghetti over mac and cheese, I find myself at the lowest point of my evening: when I realize it’s going to be another late night.

I have now either finished my work or given up on checking all of the boxes on my to-do list. If I have resorted to the latter, things will hopefully begin again not-so-bright-and-early the next day.

Don’t be like me.