ICYMI: Five major world events in the news

From Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl’s court charges to Texas senator Ted Cruz’s rising momentum on the national stage leading into the Iowa poll in the next few weeks, here are a few things you might have missed over the past couple of days in the world of news.

The Army announced Monday that Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl will face a military court on charges of desertion and endangering fellow soldiers. 

Commander of U.S. Army Forces Command Gen. Robert Abrams ordered a court-martial on Monday. In doing so, Bergdahl’s chances of being referred to a special court-martial and facing no jail time were squandered. Bergdahl could face life imprisonment if convicted of “misbehavior before the enemy by endangering the safety of a command, unit or place.”

According to CNN, “Bergdahl disappeared from his base in Afghanistan in June 2009 and was held in captivity by the Taliban until the U.S. released five Taliban detainees in a controversial exchange for Bergdahl in May 2014. Six U.S. troops died in the months following Bergdahl’s disappearance during missions partly aimed at finding and rescuing him.”

Eugene Fidell, Bergdahl’s defense attorney, said in a statement Monday that he “had hoped the case wouldn’t go in this direction.”

States expand gun rights after Sandy Hook massacre, data shows increased in gun ownership

After the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre in 2012, a national outcry for gun control and stricter regulations of gun ownership was generated. But fast forward a couple of years and the public seemed to move the opposite direction — embracing the National Rifle Association’s thinking that more “good guys with guns” are needed to deter mass shootings.

According to the Associated Press, state laws have made it easier to obtain a gun and strenuous for national government to add restrictions for gun owners. Simultaneously, data shows there has been a higher rate of gun purchases and permits being obtained.

Pro-gun advocates staged a fake shooting outside of the University of Texas on Saturday to advocate the need of firearms needed in campus, dousing fake victims with fake blood in a theatrical setup.

In Texas, those with permits will soon be able to carry concealed weapons on some college campuses. Kansas gun owners can now carry concealed weapons without obtaining a license. And in Arkansas, gun owners may be able to carry weapons into polling places next year, according to AP.

Climate deal “our best chance” to save earth

The international climate pact passed Saturday, with the U.S. and nearly 200 other countries coming to an agreement in Paris. The deal dramatically cuts greenhouse gas emissions, to make sure global warming stays “well below” 2 degrees Celsius — 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit — and to “pursue efforts” to limit the temperature rise to 1.5 degrees Celsius — 2.7 degrees Fahrenheit — according to NBC news.

“This agreement represents the best chance we have to save the one planet we’ve got,” President Barack Obama said. “I believe this agreement can be a turning point for the world.”

Tea bottles recalled from shelves in the U.S.

Sweet Leaf Tea Co. is recalling 1.5 million bottles of its drinks nationwide after glass was found in the tea. Four customers reported that they drank glass fragments. No one was severely injured.

The company’s spokeswoman Jane Lazgin told NBC News that the company received the first complaint in July “and believed it to be an isolated incident until hearing from three others more recently.”

“It is upon the four complaints we felt it was prudent to recall the product to assure that Sweet Leaf is a safe and high quality tea product,” Lazgin said.

Ted Cruz gains momentum leading to Iowa poll

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz surged to a 10-point lead in a new Bloomberg Politics/Des Moines Register Iowa survey released Saturday of likely Republican caucus goers in Iowa, signaling that his campaign is gathering momentum.

Cruz came out on top with 31 percent of the vote, businessman Donald Trump came in second at 21 percent and surgeon Ben Carson followed at 13 percent.

This could come as a hard hit to Trump who hopes that a win in Iowa’s support will provide a push into his road to the nomination.

“If we win Iowa, I think we run the table,” Trump said on Friday. He also undermined the credibility of The Register poll even before it appeared, singling out the newspaper, according to The New York Times.

“I’ll tell you, you have one of the most dishonest right here in your backyard: The Des Moines Register is the worst,” Trump said.