Sunday, November 28, 2021

Five things you might have missed this week

A tight primary race in Iowa, the Screen Actors Guild Awards, and the Zika virus’ new classification as a global public health emergency highlighted the news this week. Find out more details about five big stories you might have missed.

Iowa caucus results take surprising turn

The first major election event of the year had some surprising outcomes. In the Iowa Democratic caucus, Hillary Clinton declared victory by three votes. Her opponent, Sen. Bernie Sanders, said it was a tie, causing social media to storm up a petition to have a vote recount.

After “trading barbs” at a town hall meeting on Wednesday over who best embodied progressive values, Clinton and Sanders took part in the first one-on-one presidential debate in the race thus far Thursday night.

In a surprise twist on the Republican side, Ted Cruz came out of Iowa ahead of front runner Donald Trump 28 percent to 24 percent. Rubio came in third at 23 percent. Republican Rand Paul and Democrat Martin O’Malley dropped out soon after results came in from Iowa.

Screen Actors Guild Awards

Newspaper drama “Spotlight” took the limelight at the 22nd annual Screen Actors Guild Awards on Saturday winning Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture.

“This is for every Flint, Michigan, in the world,” actor Michael Keaton, who stars in the movie, said. “This is for the powerless. It comes down to two things. There’s fair and unfair. And I’m always going to vote for fair. I’m always going to vote for the good guys.”

Leonardo DiCaprio took home the award for Best Actor for his performance in “The Revenant.” He received a standing ovation as he accepted his award. Other actors, such as Brie Larson, Alicia Vikander and Idris Elba, also received awards.

WHO says Zika now a public health emergency 

The World Health Organization designated the Zika virus and its suspected complications in newborns a public health emergency of international concern on Monday. The action paves the way for the mobilization of more funding and manpower to fight the mosquito-born pathogen spreading “explosively” through the Americas.

WHO estimated that the virus will reach most of the hemisphere and infect up to 4 million people by year’s end.

On Tuesday, the first Zika virus case acquired through sexual transmission was reported in Dallas County, according to a Dallas County Health and Human Services report.

Alcohol is a no-no for all women, according to CDC’s new report

Women of childbearing age, 15 to 44, are advised not to drink if there’s any possibility of pregnancy, federal officials said.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report said that women who aren’t on birth control shouldn’t drink alcohol. More than 3 million women are in danger of having a baby born with fetal alcohol syndrome disorder “because they are drinking, having sex, and not using birth control to prevent pregnancy,” according to the CDC.

“A woman was considered at risk for an alcohol-exposed pregnancy during the past month if she had sex with a male, drank any alcohol, and did not (and her partner did not with her) use contraception,” the CDC report said.

Babies with FAS disorder are likely to be born small and can develop problems of the heart, kidney and brain. Damage to the brain can lead to low IQ and learning disabilities, attention problems, hyperactivity, poor reasoning and judgment, as well as poor ability to communicate in social situations.

Science says the “resting bitch face” is real 

Believe it or not, there’s research available that could explain why some people are “throwing shade.”

In a study conducted in October 2015, scientists Abbe Macbeth and Jason Rogers from Noldus Information Technology, a company that develops software for observational and behavioral research, used the company’s FaceReader software to analyze the faces of celebrities like Kanye West, Kristen Stewart, Anna Kendrick and Queen Elizabeth II, notable public figures who have been known to occasionally wear a less-than-pleased expression.

Scientists picked a neutral-looking image of a person — one in which they aren’t smiling — and run it through the FaceReader software.

The software will register a face at 97 percent neutral, but 3 percent is an underlying expression, Macbeth said. That small percentage is made of emotions that show traces of sadness, happiness or anger, for example.

“We see that people who have this RBF expression [have] double the amount of emotionality expressed,” she said.

Those afflicted with RBF may show a jump of trace emotions as high as 6 percent, and most of the emotion expressed is of contempt: the feeling that something is worthless or deserving scorn.

Tags: , , ,