Baseball Sports

Cougar Field to be renamed Darryl and Lori Schroeder Park

UH believes Cougar Field's new FieldTurf will offer more consistency than the old field. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

Cougar Field will undergo a name change to honor Darryl and Lori Schroeder for their contributions to the new baseball development facility and clubhouse. | File photo/The Cougar

Cougar Field, the home of baseball, will be renamed Darryl and Lori Schroeder Park. The renaming will be officially unveiled on Saturday during the baseball Alumni Game.

“On behalf of the players and coaches, I sincerely thank Darryl and Lori Schroeder for their generous gift to Houston baseball,” head coach Todd Whitting said in a news release. “The clubhouse facility that this gift will allow us to build will be second-to-none in all of Division I Baseball and is a game-changer in regards to the student-athlete and fan experience.”

The Schroeders’ contributions to the baseball team will go toward the building of the new development center and clubhouse, which will cater to both players and fans.

Work on the development center is expected to begin later this month and joins a host of recent renovations and construction on the UH campus.

Earlier this semester, the Guy V. Lewis Development Facility opened its doors to both basketball teams, and a renovation project to update Hofheinz Pavilion is expected to begin in the near future, as well as the construction of an indoor practice facility for football.

Baseball’s Fan Appreciation Day will be Saturday at 10 a.m. inside of Cougar Field.
The naming ceremony will take place before the seven-inning Alumni Game.