Baseball Sports

Cougars return for five-game home stand

WEB-Justin-Cross_DSC8212

After a tough weekend at the Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic, UH returns home for five games. | Justin Cross/The Cougar

The Cougars baseball team returns back to Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park for a five game home stand, starting off with a visit from the 5-2 University of Texas at San Antonio Roadrunners on Tuesday.

The 9th-ranked Cougars had their strength test in the Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic at Minute Maid Park. After starting the season 4-0, the Cougars fell to 4-3 on the year and all three losses came to teams ranked among the nation’s Top 25.

Freshman Joe Davis was the one bright spot of the weekend. Davis was named to the College Classic All-Tournament Team after hitting a team-leading .500 over the three-game weekend.

The Cougars’ bats were silent all weekend, putting up an average of just two runs per game while allowing an average of eight runs a game.

The Roadrunners are coming off a 2-1 series win over the McNeese State Cowboys. UTSA brought out its big bats, averaging just over 10 runs a game.

Third baseman C.J. Pickering hit .500 in the weekend series bringing his average to .414 on the season. Pickering also knocked home six RBIs, which fell one shy of the series best of seven from shortstop Tyler Straub.

The Cougars will be the first of a five game road trip for the Roadrunners.

First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 pm at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park on Tuesday.