With season ending, Cougars still have chance to impress

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_2447

With just one regular season game left, the Cougars will start to turn their attention to post-season play, and maybe even an NCAA tournament appearance. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

After a win against the University of Connecticut Huskies on Sunday, the Cougars are keeping themselves in the hunt for the NCAA Tournament.

Though a stretch, there is a possibility that the Cougars can will their way into the bottom rankings of the tournament.

UH just has to beat the University of Cincinnati, first.

This game is important for the Cougars as the Bearcats are a game ahead in the American Athletic Conference standings.

A win against the Bearcats would place UH third in the conference, a good position going into the AAC tournament.

Cincinnati will definitely put up a fight against UH, however, as it is also fighting to slide into tournament contention.

Last time the two met, the Cougars traveled to Cincinnati and lost 70-59. With their next matchup playing inside Hofheinz Pavilion and on senior night, the Cougars should have some extra fire to battle with.

Whether the Cougars beat the Bearcats, they must win the American Athletic Conference tournament. Any chance they have of battling it out during March Madness starts in the AAC tourney.

The Cougars need to be at their best to not give up a game in this tournament, especially to a lower-ranked AAC opponent.

This is the time of year when low ranked teams, who have nothing to lose, knockoff better opponents. It happens every year in every conference.

The biggest thing the Cougars need to do is win the games they are supposed to win. It is too common at this point in the year for teams to overlook lower-ranked teams and get upset in tournaments.

The Cougars truly have an opportunity to make a move in the AAC in the coming weeks. Although it is a small window, the opportunity is there and they have the potential to make a splash.

Now we’ll see if the players want this as bad as the fans do.