News Student Government

SGA trial ends in dropped cases against PowerHouse

sga2

Shane Smith, presidential candidate for Project Red, dropped both accusations against the PowerHouse party on Wednesday. | Karis Johnson/The Cougar

Student Government Association dismissed two cases Wednesday night during a trial scheduled to discuss complaints filed by Project Red against the PowerHouse party.

One allegation questioned the complete disclosure of financial information by PowerHouse presidential candidate John Fields. Fields commissioned the creation of a campaign video by Cory Rodriguez, who is running for a senator position under Project Red. Rodriguez also took photos during the shoot, which were used by the PowerHouse candidates as a part of their campaign.

Fields disclosed financial payment for the video, but did not list the photos taken by Rodriguez. Shane Smith, presidential candidate for Project Red, filed a complaint against Fields’ party for incomplete disclosure of payment, which SGA determined to bring to trial as a Class B violation.

Leaders from Project Red and Powerhouse met to discuss the accusations prior to the trial, and Chief Justice Canyon Sanford ruled to dismiss the case after Smith dropped the accusation.

sga1

Senators and presidential candidates for both parties met in a trial Wednesday night that dismissed all complaints against the PowerHouse party. | Karis Johnson/The Cougar

Smith also dropped a second allegation concerning the locations PowerHouse is allowed to campaign. He stated that after further review the party violated no prior guidelines.

“We reached an agreement that was better for SGA as a whole,” Smith said after the dismissal.

Fields declined to comment on the results of the trial.

The trial started at 11 p.m., causing some senators to express dissatisfaction about the need for a trial at such a late time.

“It’s mildly irritating, but I was happy to serve SGA in any way that I can,” said Clint Kirchhoff, the trial clerk and academic affairs chair.

Students running for senator positions felt obligated to attend the late trial due to the possible severity of the outcome. Overall, senators seemed relieved that the allegations were dropped and the trial ended quickly.

“I think it’s a good thing,” said Mohammed Khallaf, a political science freshman running for College of Liberal Arts and Social Science senator. “It shows that people can understand each other, so that if (either candidate) gets elected, we can pass more proposals.”

• I’m trying to understand did they drop it because it was false or is SGA crooked? I have read that Shane’s guy article ? Apparently his created something called mock trial. If he filed that meant there was some truth, why not go all the way!! It was already almost the next day? I guess that’s why no one votes for crooked SGA

• The claim was dropped because the two candidates were able to make a compromise and reach a resolution. This was the best choice for everyone. It kept us from having to go through 3 hours of court and it showed that sga is about compromise and working together. SGA is not crooked but the claim was not false either. It was simply a matter of doing what was best for the SGA, the candidates and in the end all of the students. It allowed us to focus on the issues not the drama.

Shane is the president of Mock Trial which is a super awesome organization. We compete through AMTA and compete a given case against other teams across the state and nation. If it is something you interested in check it out on facebook and get connected. However, Mock Trial has nothing to do with the SGA trials or the complaint that was filed.

• I do not understand why we cannot have a SGA election without a scandal.

Rather than wasting time filing a complaint about pictures, you should focus on your own campaign. I have been an active member of this university for almost three years and I am way more concerned with these political parties’ platforms than a financial disclosure.

Maybe my lack of experience in college politics puts me at a disadvantage in terms of comprehension. 🙂