Men’s basketball prepare for opening tournament game

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_2447

The Cougars will be looking to build their case for a bid in the NCAA Tournament with a win over Tulane. | File photo/The Cougar

The Cougars begin play at the American Athletic Conference tournament as the No. 2 seed today against the No. 10 seed Tulane Green Wave.

The Cougars come in with quite a bit of momentum from the end of the regular season and need three wins to secure the tournament title.

After earning one of their best records in the past five seasons, UH earned the second seed, behind only Temple University, since Southern Methodist University is ineligible for post-season play.

According to ESPN, three AAC teams are in the NCAA tournament field or on the bubble, but the Cougars are not one of those. The Cougars will most likely be dependent upon winning the conference tournament to earn an automatic bid to the NCAA tourney.

UH is coming off of a big win in their home finale over the University of Cincinnati Bearcats, which helped them earn third place in the AAC.

This will be the third meeting between the Cougars and the Green Wave this season, with the Cougars sweeping the season series with two wins.

UH will be looking for its fourth win in a row and its seventh win in its last eight games.

The winner of the game between UH and Tulane will face the winner of the game featuring the University of Tulsa and University of Memphis.

The Cougars are scheduled for tipoff toninght at 6 inside the Amway Center in Orlando.